Fitting a Radio

Mar 31, 2006
Visit site
Hi all, new member and first time owner of caravan, needs a bit of help please.

We are nearly there, just had the tow bar fitted on the new car. I've got to lay a carpet in the caravan and rinse out the fresh water pipes in van and do a few other odd jobs and we are ready to go?( I hope).

I have removed a CD player and radio from old car and am thinking of putting it in the caravan? I know i will need some speakers, but was wondering if i can buy the connecters for the wiring to go in the back of the radio? Are there any instructions any where to tell me how to do this(fit the whole thing including speakers)?

Also could I use the booster box for the flying saucer aerial, to act as the radio's aerial?

Thanks for help, hope someone can help?

Carl

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You should find that the plugs for the back of the radio can be bought from Halfords, just find the intelligent assistant they should have 1 but it may be their day off ;-) The radio in our last Bessacarr worked off the status box. It did work but we never use radio.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Never had any luck working off the Status - the TV has a hard enough job!

Buy a Status radio aerial - they are white and fit to the side of the van, you need to drill a hole for the aerial cable and power cables.

As said, you can buy some of the connectors from Halfords (Cris, the intelligent one at my Halfords seems to be permanently off). You will probably have standard ISO connectors but some amkes, such as Panasonic 'do their own thing' and the connectors are very expensive.

Connections are essentially positive and negative supply, 4 pairs of speaker cables (2 front, 12 rear) and the aerial.

Look around for where you can mount the speakers. The front ones might be mountabl under the shelving at the front corners. The rear ones might be a little more tricky.

You will need to decide where you can run the cables.

You will be better off with the correct cage for mounting the adio but you will need support leg as the weight of the radio will be too much for the facias in the van. Alternatively, you may wish to mount it in one of the cupboards. If you have a CD autochanger then this can be mounted wherever convenient and the cable run to the radio.

TRENDING THREADS