Fitting car radio unit in old caravan

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I have recently bought a little old swift where the previous owner has looked after the van very well. They have fitted their own speakers and I guess a radio but taken the radio unit with them, leaving the wires (and speakers.

I have tried to fit a new cd/radio using the old wires and the unit will turn on but only for a few seconds before turning off. So there is obvioulsy power there somewhere, I also think the clock is keeping time even though I can't get the raido or CD to play!

I've taken the unit back to the shop, where it did work (not embarassing at all...).

Anyone got any suggestions? I hate admitting defeat and paying someone else to do it! ;-)

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
have you connected both the switched and permanent live on your new unit? usually red and red/white or yellow.

it sounds to me like you only wired the permanent live.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst it will not help sort your problem remember that some car radio's will drain your battery even if apparently switched "off".

These radio's must be wired via a switch that replicates the ignition switch that would be in a car; then its fine and can really be switched "off" by that switch. Been there with a "professionally" wired up radio.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
have you connected both the switched and permanent live on your new unit? usually red and red/white or yellow.

it sounds to me like you only wired the permanent live.
Hi mcghee, I think you might have hit the problem there. I only have two wires which I assume are straight from the positive and negative terminals (via the fuse box). Should there be a third one then and if so any idea where it would come from?

Many thanks for your help - I don't think Halfords will know what to do if I take it in anyway ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts