Fixed bed -changing bedding?

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
How do you make up your fixed bed if you have one?

Do you use sleeping bags or do you use a fitted sheet and duvet?

We love our fixed bed in our Swift Challenger 540, the deep mattress is so comfortable but one problem... when it comes to putting on a bottom sheet the walls get in the way lol! It's great not to have to make up the bed each night, but I'd love to know if there is a knack to the bed changing.

Has anyone found the answer without going back to using sleeping bags?

Wendy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we had the corner fixed bed we had a 2in thick waffle foam matress topper inside a single bed duvet cover which was an exact fit

The bed just needed the quilt/duvet straightening

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi John and Wendy.

WE found with our Ace the answer fitted sheet and duvet.

Cant wait for the new season to start

Sir Roger
Hi Sir Roger,

we have the fitted sheet and duvet at the moment,but after crawling under the lift up base to pull the edges down I thought there must be another way!

Have you tried winter caravanning? We are off again next week and looking forward to Christmas dinner in the van.

Wendy

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
When we had the corner fixed bed we had a 2in thick waffle foam matress topper inside a single bed duvet cover which was an exact fit

The bed just needed the quilt/duvet straightening
Hi John,

that sounds like a very good solution, I think I'll have a look for a mattress topper when we get back :)

Thanks, Wendy.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi John and Wendy.

WE found with our Ace the answer fitted sheet and duvet.

Cant wait for the new season to start

Sir Roger
Hi again John and Wendy, you lucky devils .

I wanted to do Christmas away in the van this year but her Ladyship was againstit so looks like another Christmas At Buggram Hall

Regards Sir Roger.(Enjoy Christmas)

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We have a double fitted sheet - lift far side of mattress (our's has a 'fold-line' down the middle), tuck corners round top and bottom corners of mattress, whilst kneeling on other half of mattress, then step down, tuck in top corner near shower compartment, then bottom corner, and pull tight. On top of that we have a normal double duvet. Bliss - and we have really good quality sheet, pillow cases over down and feather pillows, and good quality duvet cover, so it's more comfortable and luxurious than our bed at home! (Though perhaps not as big!!!)

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi again John and Wendy, you lucky devils .

I wanted to do Christmas away in the van this year but her Ladyship was againstit so looks like another Christmas At Buggram Hall

Regards Sir Roger.(Enjoy Christmas)
Hi Sir Roger,

It's not always easy to leave the family so "her ladyship" is not unusual, maybe she will fancy a change one year?

All the best for Christmas and the New Year!

Wendy

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Val,

our mattress is one of those thick ones like you would have on a normal bed and that seems to be the cause of my problem!

The fold you have down the centre of yours, allows it to be lifted when you tuck the sheet in. To reach the far corner I have to kneel on the other side of the bed, but there is no way it will lift or bend upwards. If there were free space to put your hand down the sides it wouldn't be too bad, but it's firmly wedged in between the walls!

Whoever decided to include the thick mattress in corner fixed beds didn't think of that practicality lol.

Wendy

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Nor did they think that if you had a 'fold-in-half' one (so that you could lift up the 'storage' half to get into the locker), that it would be so b.....y heavy that you can't lift it, except with two hands, and so you need a third hand to get in to the locker underneath! Caravan designers need a lesson or two in the realities of caravan living, methinks!!!

Your thick mattress probably has 'gas-struts' to hold it up when you want to get into the locker - I wish ours did.

Fortunately our mattress is thick, sprung, and is comfortable, (you don't notice the 'fold') and the stuff we keep under the bed only needs to come in and out at the beginning and end of our stay!

I hope you find a solution - perhaps the foam overlay, ready made up with a sheet on, is the best one so far!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a fold down the middle mattress on the Ace and it sagged badly about the crease so Leisure Furnishings re upholstered it withou the fold and we preferred it

The lid was gas strut assisted but inadequate until I was lucky enough to spot some struts at a car boot for 20p and with both sets it stayed up

The same struts now support the fixed bed I made in the Nightstar but making the bed is much easier with the transvers layout.This has a memory foam built in topper so the old one is redundant

We use a fitted sheet with corner straps to good effect

We used to use elasticc clip on braces at one time

The idea we used of overlay in duvet cover just needs the narrow end folding back and safety pinning out of the way

We still hve the overlay on the spare bed and it stays wrinkle free

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Val,

The foam overlay (suggested by John Watson) is a possible

solution, I'll be on to him for a recommendation lol!

It seems like the designers overcame the lift up locker problem and replaced it with another. I'm glad ours does have the gas struts to hold the bed up, as when I'm crawling about underneath tucking the sheet down the sides I don't have to worry about getting trapped inside !!!!

Trouble is when you look at buying a new caravan, you don't always notice silly things like that and I suppose the designers are the same. It takes a bit of living in to discover the niggles doesn't it? On the whole I can't complain as the layout seems to work well otherwise.

Wendy

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

You sound as if you've got it all sorted, can I ask what topper you bought?

I found the clip on braces were useful otherwise when you lift the bed up, the sheets get rucked up rubbing against the headboard. The topper definitely seems to be the way to go from what you say.

Cheers Wendy

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wendy,

This is a common problem which has just been made worse by making the mattresses deeper, therefore heavier also less able to bend.

After making over 60 cut off beds at the NEC show, I realised there had to be a solution and have designed the Snoozy Wrap. The idea is that it sits on top of the mattress like a duvet (so no need to tuck it down the sides) and you get inside like a sleeping bag.

I have not posted to promote my company but simply wanted to let you know that this is a solution to your problem.

Take Care

Nicky

Jonic

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wendy,

This is a common problem which has just been made worse by making the mattresses deeper, therefore heavier also less able to bend.

After making over 60 cut off beds at the NEC show, I realised there had to be a solution and have designed the Snoozy Wrap. The idea is that it sits on top of the mattress like a duvet (so no need to tuck it down the sides) and you get inside like a sleeping bag.

I have not posted to promote my company but simply wanted to let you know that this is a solution to your problem.

Take Care

Nicky

Jonic
Hi Nicky,

I have looked at the snoozywrap on your website and it does look like a very good product. However, as we already have a very good quality duvet the idea of a mattress topper seems to be a less costly option.

We have friends who have bought from you and been very pleased and you seem to have found a gap in the market that others haven't spotted!

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

best wishes, Wendy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add if you do go the overlay/duvet cover route its easier to get the sponge overlay inside if you have it inside another duvet cover first as the material slides easier than the foam

Also choose a duvet cover that opens all the way across if possible

Sleep well!

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
We went down the "Snoozywrap" route and has transformed sleeping.Best thing since sliced bread,stops she who must be obeyed dragging duvet over her side in middle of night.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
The Snoozywrap appears to be a sleeping bag with a liner included. Bags are fine until you want to get out in the middle of the night. You wouldn't use one at home so why would you in a van ?

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI Wendy,

On our Ace we use a fitted sheet, then a flat sheet and then a duvet.

The mattress doesn't have a fold so it is quite rigid. What we find the best solution is to tuck the sheets into the end against the wall and then pull them tight and tuck in the accessible side.

It is fairly simple once you get the hang of it.

HOPe ths helps

Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts