Fixed or removable tow ball ?

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
I'm about to have a towbar fitted to an Octavia II which has parking sensors. Which type of tow bar would people suggest? One with a fixed tow ball or the removable type?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Roland.

G

Removable every time!

Your legs and the families will regret it if you go for fixed :)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Fixed every time for me, i've had two cars run into the back end over the years, only on one occasion was a repair required, on both ocassions the other car had a nice grove in the front end, its amazing what damage a towbar can make.

I always keep a safe distance from fellow tow cars for that reason!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Trouble is, if a fixed towbar does get a whack hard enough to cause damage to the car's underbody, then the damage is usually greater than if the towball was removed (because a fixed towball prevents the bumper from absorbing energy). The benefit referred to above therefore applies only to very light shunts.

May 18, 2007
Visit site
I prefer the detachable type - much neater IMO.You may want to go for the fixed towbar with the 2 bolt flange if you want to carry bikes or similar.

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
I prefer the detachable type - much neater IMO.You may want to go for the fixed towbar with the 2 bolt flange if you want to carry bikes or similar.
Thanks for all your comments on my minor dilema.

My concern with a fixed tow ball is that it might result in the parking sensors deescting it and constantly buzz.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You don't need a flange mounted towball to be able to fit a bike rack. There are plenty of models to choose from that go on swan neck towbars, whether fixed, removable or retractable.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Roland

I've had both on recent cars and personally I'd go for the detachable if it doesn't break the bank for you.

It's a lot neater as stated, doesn't get in the way whilst loading or unloading the boot area and is out of the way of shunts.

Tom

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Ask your Skoda dealer, Roland. Whether the towball affects the sensors depends on their relative heights to one another, the detection system on which the sensors operate and their sensitivity. A dealer should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Anyone seen the picture of the swan-neck towball in this month's Caravan Club magazine - titled 'Towers Droop'. It was fixed on upside down! You can imagine what it looks like!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
My concern is about the rear parking sensors.

Will they detect up a fixed tow ball as a rear facing obstacle and therefore buzz all the time ?
My Audi is fitted with rear sensors and a removable towbar and the sensors certainly don't pick it up when it's fitted.

I know it's not the same car, but they are from the same family - maybe a quick call to a Skoda dealer would help put your mind at rest?

I much prefer the removable type, as it keeps the rear of the car much tidier and as others have said, you're much less likely to crack your shins on it!

Hope this is of some help,

John.

TRENDING THREADS