Flat battery after ferry crossing

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi We leave for France on Sun. Last year after the night crossing we got into our car and had a flat battery. I blamed my other half saying the caravan fridge must have drained the battery. Am I right?

When we drive to the port we have the fridge on 12V. When the car is not running is the fridge draining off the car battery or the caravan battery.

He says this year he is going to unplug the towing electrics when we leave the car, but it means the fridge will not be on. What do others do? Thanks Denise

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
if your electrics are wired correctly ,every thing should shut down when you switch the engine off ,i would check the battery ,i am sure some one on here will tell you how to check towball electrics

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
I agree, the fridge is powered from the car (never the caravan), but should only work when the engine is running.

If it drains the battery then you have a wiring fault.

To keep the fridge cold.......Cool on gas or electricity before leaving home, open the fridge as little as possible. Freeze some items you plan to use in the first day or so and put them on the top shelf of the fridge. Cartons of juice or milk freeze OK, we went overnight Hull/Rotterdam and the milk was still half frozen when we needed it for breakfast!

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
It could be caused by you car alarm keep going off , you should only lock the car and not set the alarm , the ferry motion will set off alarms, have a listen of the car deck and you will hear loads going off!!!. We just pack fridge with frozen milk etc

Brian

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The fridge may be partially draining the battery. Our X-Trail seems to supply the fridge for quite a while after engine shutoff. There must be some sensor that watches the voltage as it turns off at variable times, usually around 30 minutes, but there is no mention in the handbook about this.

Surely you can just check if the 12v fridge light is on when the engine isn't running?

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
There should be a relay on the car that shuts off the power to the caravan battery and the fridge after the car engine is switched off, somtimes depending on the relay type it may take a few seconds to switch off as the voltage drops from the car alternator.
A good way to be sure is to take out the grey plug on the car while on the ferry.

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Denise,
Not the answer that you're looking for, but we use a 'cool box' to store our milk, marg etc in whilst on the move. It keeps the stuff cool for hours whilst we reach our first campsite, then transfer the 'cool box' contents into the fridge.
Saves all the hassle, with possible spills etc., while on the move.

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Denise,
Not the answer that you're looking for, but we use a 'cool box' to store our milk, marg etc in whilst on the move. It keeps the stuff cool for hours whilst we reach our first campsite, then transfer the 'cool box' contents into the fridge.
Saves all the hassle, with possible spills etc., while on the move.

TRENDING THREADS