Flooring

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

My van has fixed/fitted carpets, bit of a nuisance in this weather, kids and mud !!!!!!

Any ideas how to temporarily change it into a washable surface like vinyl or laminate etc etc.. failing that is there a place if I measure the outline could make me a removable piece of carpet(like a car mat) ... ???? thanks

Tina x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina

Firstly, look at clearances underneath toilet/cupboard/fridge doors - what thickness, if any, can you afford without stopping something opening.

Secondly, a local carpet company could well visit, measure and give you a quote for some covering, vinyl, carpet, plastic that you would like/can afford. If a carpet, make sure you have the edges bound.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina,

I had this problem - or rather my wife did - and I made a pattern or template of the existing carpet using sheets of fairly stiff paper well taped together. Start at the end furthest away from the door, cutting the pattern to fit into all the nooks and crannies as you go. Then place the pattern FACE down onto the BACK of a suitably sized bit of cheap carpet - it's easier to draw the shape onto the back of the carpet - and cut out using kitchen scissors or craft knife. You will probably have to screw this overcarpet down to prevent it moving as it is walked on - in our case a thin bit of wood about 1" wide by the width of the 'van floor at the front end using the shortest screws possible. This was done as a temporary solution till we could sort it out properly; the idea being that we could lift the thing for cleaning or, at worst, scrap it altogether hence the cheap carpet used. And it's still going strong some four years on. Just gets vacuumed and brushed.

The vynyl floor panels - chosen for this job with much care - is still stored in the garage to this day.

Mike E (who does'nt like to be rushed into things it seems)

G

You may wish to look at removal of the carpet altogether. Most vans have a floor lined with laminate and you will probably find this under the existing carpet. If the van is not brand new then change it to suit your own requirements and if you get 'cold' add a rug, non slip of course.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Tina

It may be possible to cut out the existing carpet have the edges bound then use it as a removable,

do you know a friendly carpet fitter/shop

Tony A

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions,neverthought to have a look under the carpet,just assumed,will do that first !! yes I do know a good carpet man!! would ideally like to remove carpet and put laminate down, the like you say get the carpet edged !! Thanks for your ideas !!

Tina x

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
You may wish to look at removal of the carpet altogether. Most vans have a floor lined with laminate and you will probably find this under the existing carpet. If the van is not brand new then change it to suit your own requirements and if you get 'cold' add a rug, non slip of course.
Remember the extra weight you will add to your van using laminate flooring!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions,neverthought to have a look under the carpet,just assumed,will do that first !! yes I do know a good carpet man!! would ideally like to remove carpet and put laminate down, the like you say get the carpet edged !! Thanks for your ideas !!

Tina x
Ive just had laminate floor effect vinyl fitted to my abbey caravan, bit of a job to remove the carpet as it was fitted by the manufacturer before any of the units were in place so as you can imagine i had to cut round the edge of the carpet all the way round the van and "poke the sticking out piece" under with a hammer and blunt chisel again all the way round. Then came the easy part, went to local carpet fitting showroom and chose an offcut end of roll paid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts