focus or astra

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi guys.
been away cambelt broke on megane engine ka-put so off to the scrap yard with it.
looking for something else now choice of astra hatch 1.7cdti manual or focus 1.8LX petrol est both on 04 plate with full history and under 50k on the clock and both the same price
trouble is which one is best. any ideas ???
thanks colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Colin
If your car will be used for towing then without any doubt I would go for the diesel, better pulling, adn probably better economy also.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
If you prefer the Focus to the Astra then look out for a diesel one but if happy with the astra then that would be my choice. Plenty of both out there! For what it is we're happy with our Focus diesel and use it for SWMBO work and when going out locally. Will be changing for something larger next time as the dowg population has grown but alas still need the 4x4 for towing duties.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi guys thanks for the replys I would prefer another diesel must admit.
but the astra is only the same size as the megane and a hatch, the focus was an estate (now sold) and seemed more practical with all the carp gear and room for the wheel chair.
having no car at the moment going anywhere other than local seemes to much hassle but as stated there are plenty more out there to look at?? wife fancies a meriva but the 1.7 diesel model are as rare as "hens teeth"
in the meatime i'm getting plenty of use out of the bus pass?? he.he.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
saw a meriva stopped at gordano services at the weekend. looked very low at the back and although its weights are probably okay for what it was towing it did look very small with a van on the back.

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Colin, hope you're still here
smiley-smile.gif

I'm debating getting into caravanning, but having just bought a Megane, series 3, 1.5 diesel hatchback, I'm wondering if I'll find a van that it can tow, only looking at older vans, as I'm skint after buying the car
smiley-undecided.gif
I get several different estimates of kerb weight, from 1200 to 1620kg, the lower figure would restrict me to a sub 1000kg MTPLN (is that right acronym?). The upper is nearer 1300kg.

Any ideas?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's not the kerbweight that restricts you, it's the maximum permissible towload, as specified by the car manufacturer. In addition, until quite recently, Renaults were noted for very restrictive maximum gross train weights which meant that you couldn't make use of the allowable towload if the car was fully laden. You need to check the relevant data for your particular car, either by referring to its VIN plate or the V5c certificate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts