For attention of Gagakev

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Or anyone else who knows the Newton Abbot area.
A few weeks back on another thread Gagakev gave me some advice on the route from the M5 to Ross Park in Ipplepen just off the A381. Kev's route was basically come off the M5 onto the A381 and follow it through Newton Abbot, seems simple enough. Just had a look at Google map suggested route which would have me cutting off the main road to the left just before what appears to be the town centre onto Forde Park, Coach Rd then Old Totnes Rd before rejoining the A381 on the other side of Newton Abbot. This route would appear to cut out the town centre but I was wondering how practical it would be towing along that route?
Anyone with local knowledge care to comment on whether to stick with main
road through the town or take this apparent by pass
Thanks
Rob

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Living in Devon, and having driven these roads, I would just stick with the A381.

You're not really going through the middle of Newton Abbott - just skirting the edge of the centre, it's all main roads and, although a bit narrow in places as you leave the town near Asda, is much less fiddly (I think) than the Totnes road, which is more "cumbersome".

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob, that would be the quickest way BUT DO NOT TOW that route, as SWpostie says stick to the A381.
DO NOT turn left onto Forde Park (unless you want a game of tennis) just keep going and as last advice Past the Olde Cider Bar, Asda, Two mile oak inn on the totnes road past Fermoys Garden Centre and you are nearly there.
Its not as difficult as it sounds, honest.

Foot note swpostie where abouts are you located?

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Gagakev. I was a bit wary of following the Google route, I did have look on the satellite view and it wasn't clear whether it would be OK or not. Did look a bit like going through a housing estate, wouldn't have gone down that route without picking some local brains.
Thanks to both you and swpostie.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Now safely pitched on site at Ross Park, thanks again to both my forum navigators as I had a look at the google map alternative road as I drove past it, not one I would have chosen to tow a caravan down. It's been many years since I visited Devon and I had forgotten that even "A" classed main roads can be.....well, let's say interesting!
Having a couple of days on site to chill out before maybe doing a little bit exploring of the area. Will likely take a trip up to Dawlish as that is where we first visited Devon way back in the early 1980s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts