For better or worse !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is our second year in caravanning and we absolutely love it. Whatever site we go on I'm always looking around to see what sort of people and what kinds of caravans there are, call me nosey but I'm just interested in what other people like. I have no preference in the above im just curious. Whenever I see a lovely old couple in an old van I wonder what they think of todays caravanners, do they prefere things now or would they rather go back to god knows when. For those that have caravanned for a long time what era would you like to be in right now and why. Maybe you dont like the new style caravans and would love to go back to having no electricity and running water etc, I know my father would.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

We used to have a frame tent, then a trailer tent, and then a caravan. As much as I love the luxury of the caravan, I sometimes wish we were still in the trailer tent. There was something about the smell of the canvas, and cooking effectively 'outside' that made it more of a memorable adventure than the clinical holiday in a caravan. Also it's the trudge to the wash block for washing and the loos that seemed to make it more friendly as you get to meet more people. Rather than in the caravan where we use all the on board facilities.

It's just really the cold and windy nights that I don't miss, and I'm not sure that our kids would enjoy that side of it as they complain when the awning starts flapping a bit.

We do still have the 5 birth frame tent in the garage though. We hung on to it just in case. The kids are now saying that they'd like to go real camping, so I may have to dig all the kit out one week end and see how we get on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A lovely old retired couple who I know very well (my dear parents), have been caravanning for the last fifteen years.

Their preference is for a Series 5 Pageant, with motor mover and this year's Freelander. My Dad also had great fun taking part recently in an 'off-road driving experience' offered to new Freelander buyers.

I can remember them lighting the gas lamps in hired holiday caravans and turning the starting handle on their old Morris - I don't think they'd want to go back to that somehow!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
love todays caravans and layouts and Equipment BUT I would like to be 26 again to really enjoy todays offerings.

I am approaching 70 and although my mind is still young I am afraid the body is not keeping up so thank god for small mercies such as van movers. Fridges and freezers, microwave ovens although we still prefer the pressure cooker, the slow cooker etc. I love the coffee machine which I start off whilst enjoying my shower and then the cooking of my big breakfast which is (usually) eaten alfresco.

I could go on and on with my likes of caravanning but will not bore people who will nod there heads in agreement at my ranting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi paul,me & the family have been caravaning for nearly 18 years ,when we first started other caravaners would flash there car lights or give you a wave as you passed each other ,now on site if you pass someone they look at the ground rather than make eye contact ,some do smile & say hello. caravns haven't changede much , some are big ,bright, shiney& new ,some are small tatty & old but it doesn't matter they are still enjoyed by there owners

Jun 29, 2005
Visit site
A very interesting thread, Paul. Thanks for introducing it. My partner and I are both around 60 and are expecting to retire next year and so are just at the point where we have to make decisions re caravan etc. Like Mick, we also started with tents, and then some 20 years ago when we were living on the continent we bought a twin-axle Hobby. The kids loved it and we toured all over Europe - Med in the summer, Alps in the winter. Must admit we appreciated being self-contained in the van, especially as some of the sites in the further-flung parts of Europe weren't too impressive re the toilet and washroom facilities etc! We sold the van when we came back to live in England. There are no two ways about it, though! You definitely feel much closer to nature when camping. We do quite a bit of walking when on holiday, mainly in the hills. Last summer we walked Hadrian's Wall and used a two-man tent for overnight stops. It was fantastic just as we remembered camping from years ago. (Also made us feel we had one up on the caravanners on the site! Like Mick says, the smell of the canvas, the aroma of bacon and sausages cooking on a camp stove.) So we have come to the conclusion that camping and caravanning are not mutually exclusive. We're hanging on to the pup tent for using in the hills, etc, and will buy a small 2-berth van for general touring. As we anticipate most of our caravanning will be on the continent we'll probably buy another continental (winterised!) van.(We've now reached an age where we appreciate certain creature comforts!) Ok, so the door will be on the "wrong" side for England, (we don't really care a toss about that) and you have to sign an indemnity when Calor fill your gas bottles . I suppose having a tent and a van is either a case of "belt and braces" or "having your cake and eating it"!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well what an interesting feed back, some heart warming stories there I can tell you. I would love to meet some of you older caravanners out there and talk about your likes/dislikes, maybe one day there will be a meet up with some of this forums members so stories like these can be discussed over a glass of wine, or two. Thanks to those who replied.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well what an interesting feed back, some heart warming stories there I can tell you. I would love to meet some of you older caravanners out there and talk about your likes/dislikes, maybe one day there will be a meet up with some of this forums members so stories like these can be discussed over a glass of wine, or two. Thanks to those who replied.
Hear Hear

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts