Ford 10 ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This months CAMC mag has a letter with picture of vintage caravan and Ford tow car. Text indicates this is a Ford 10 related to the Ford Pop(ular) of the era.
This would have had the 93E sidevale engine and seems an unlikely tow car.
At this period Ford sold a larger car which generally resembled the 10 but had the V8 side valve engine of, I believe either 3.5. or 4.7 litre capacity.
Anyone able to clarify please.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My father had one. It was 1938 model but he bought it in the fifties for some astronomical price.He could only afford to use at weekends and spent the first hour or so boosting the battery and drying out the distributor and HT leads in the oven.

On a family holiday up the A6 to the Highlands it seemed somewhat unsteady on a dual carriageway section. He called the AA they checked it out and the advice was perhaps your wife could swop to a rear seat and me move forward. Touring hilly areas like the Peak dad loved exploring narrow back roads but on some sections we all had to get out to allow the car to make a steep windy ascent.
He eventually sold it and bought a Morris Series E as it had four gears!!!
Dad is still driving at age 96 but he limits his trips a bit these days and it's a newish Corsa :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
This months CAMC mag has a letter with picture of vintage caravan and Ford tow car. Text indicates this is a Ford 10 related to the Ford Pop(ular) of the era.
At this period Ford sold a larger car which generally resembled the 10 but had the V8 side valve engine of, I believe either 3.5. or 4.7 litre capacity.

You'd be thinking of the Ford Pilot a much more prestigious car basically American v8 muscle.

PS Edit. Retrieved my magazine from the bin and yes that certainly looks like the Ford 10. If the parents lived in Lincolnshire then they had all of (flat) east Anglia to visit with the van in tow. But Derbyshire might have been a struggle.

Looking at the picture some more the radiator bumper arrangement is different from the one we had. It's more rounded and the rad on our 10 was more vertical with bars running top to bottom. The one shown has a horizontal straight bumper were our 10 had a downward curve in the center for the much used starting handle. I think the picture shows s Prefect which replaced the 10 before the Popular.

Aug 11, 2018
Visit site
You did not need a big car when I started caravanning in 1956, my dad borrowed my Uncles caravan which my Uncle towed with a motorcycle combination, but dad had a Standard 8, we got a Sprite Aerial caravan and he towed that with Standard 8.

Back then you would expect a caravan to weigh in cwt it's length in feet, so a 10 foot van weighed 10 cwt. that's 510 kg modern caravans are so much heavier.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
RayS said:

You'd be thinking of the Ford Pilot a much more prestigious car basically American v8 muscle.

PS Edit. Retrieved my magazine from the bin and yes that certainly looks like the Ford 10. If the parents lived in Lincolnshire then they had all of (flat) east Anglia to visit with the van in tow. But Derbyshire might have been a struggle.

Looking at the picture some more the radiator bumper arrangement is different from the one we had. It's more rounded and the rad on our 10 was more vertical with bars running top to bottom. The one shown has a horizontal straight bumper were our 10 had a downward curve in the center for the much used starting handle. I think the picture shows s Prefect which replaced the 10 before the Popular.
I haven't seen the picture, any chance of uploading it? The V8 pilot had a 3.5ltrs side valve engine. The E93A engine was 1172cc also with side valves and had very little power. The Popular, Anglia and Prefect were all produced at the same time, the Popular and Anglia were basically the same 2 door model, the Prefect had a different body with 4 doors.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
PaulT said:
otherclive said:
RayS said:

I haven't seen the picture, any chance of uploading it? The V8 pilot had a 3.5ltrs side valve engine. The E93A engine was 1172cc also with side valves and had very little power. The Popular, Anglia and Prefect were all produced at the same time, the Popular and Anglia were basically the same 2 door model, the Prefect had a different body with 4 doors.

It’s not a V8 Pilot as you say that was a larger car. I think it’s been wrongly identified as a Ford 10 as it doesn’t look like the one my dad had nor does it look like any on web images. I think it is a Prefect.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
There's a picture of a Ford 10 here The Ford Popular came along much later and the Ford Pilot which spanned the timescale was a bigger beast altogether. Hopefully these Wikipedia pages with the pictures will help comparisons to be made by vintage Ford officionados

Wikipedia doesn’t cover the other variants of the Model 10 whereby the more common UK one had a vertical radiatior grill which was front facing and split vertically into three sections. The car in the CMHC mag had a vertical grill that was curved rearward on both the left and right sides. With a central vertical centre strut. Almost certainly a Prefect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts