Ford Ranger, double cab & canopy with a roof box?

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Looking for advice please - a forum or blog on safety, aerodynamics/fuel consumptions, etc. wrt positioning of a large Halford 580l Exodus Roof Box on a 2019 Ford Ranger Double Cab (3.2 Manual) fitted with a Alpha GSE Canopy, both have fitted roof rails. (I'm towing a 2019 Lunar Alaria TS, twin axle, 8-foot wide):

1. Far forward on the double cab only? 2. Far back on the canopy only? or 3. Straddled equi-distance across the double cab/canopy?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello RR.

Welcome to the forum,

Towing Vehicle Aerodynamics is something of a black art. and not a lot of research has been carried out.

There were a number of aero deflectors sold for caravanners in the 1970s, there was never any conclusive evidence they made any significant difference. They quickly went out of favour, and their absence today probably is the strongest indication of their lack of effectiveness.

I suggest that unless you need the extra load space, its probably not worth fitting one. If you intend to use one anyway, then i'd suggest trying it in different locations until you feel happy with it.

Try to be objective about comparing its with and without or in different locations, and we would be interested in your findings.

Reactions: Road Ranger

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The strongest place for a roofbox is on the cab as that has the rigidity that maybe lacking in the rear canopy.
As for aerodynamics, you are already driving something that is about as aerodynamic as a very large brick, a roofbox is not going to make much difference.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO, the better aerodynamic option is further back than what is physically practical.
I suspect, no practical location is going to yield a good result.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the canopy max loading specification can take the loaded box and cross rails then I would try and site it towards the middle of the vehicle on the for’ d end of the canopy. This would be for reasons of
vehicle weight distribution. As others have said any consideration of improving aerodynamics with that outfit is pure wishful thinking. If fuel saving is a criteria the judicious use of the right foot, or loading management will achieve far more than any mucking about with a roof box position.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
No help offered with aerodynamics and which is best for fuel economy etc. but surely the OP doesn't need a roofbox along side storage in the van and the amount of space in the load bed? (unless they have 3 kids and a dog or 2 in the back). We have similar outfit - navara and TA swift and have more room than we can safely fill.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No help offered with aerodynamics and which is best for fuel economy etc. but surely the OP doesn't need a roofbox along side storage in the van and the amount of space in the load bed? (unless they have 3 kids and a dog or 2 in the back). We have similar outfit - navara and TA swift and have more room than we can safely fill.
Only the OP can tell if they need the space or not. Perhaps he fills the back of the pick up with something bulky lick a quad bike or jet ski who knows;)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
From my days with the windslammer the saving was only worthwhile when we had a hatchback and a Piper caravan that was not aerodynamic. Once we had a caravan with a more aerodynamic it did not work so I would not worry and put it on the cab where it is probably strongest if you really need the extra capacity.

Mar 15, 2020
Visit site
Two large German Shepard Dogs....

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The canopy is only clamped on and not a part of the body shell unlike the cab-therefore i would tend to put the box on the cab but as above whatever feels best perhaps?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts