Forum squabbling

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know whether it is me being paranoid or is there a hell of a lot of bitterness creaping into the postings on this forum these days. I thought the forum was for people of a like minded hobby - caravanning. Now there is bitterness in virtually all ares of postings regarding LPG, child behaviour, wind breakers and God knows what all together. Why can't the postings be friendly and usefull as they used to be. I don't give a d**n about politics, etc. when I visit this site, I am only interested in matters relating to caravanning. I keep my views on other matters to the company I am in at the time of discussion.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve if they are getting wound up because of the weather they can either come on this site to unwind and talk of the better days of either past or future caravan delights or go and kick hell out of the cat - just don't bring their bitterness here or I will be leaving because I am fed up to the back teath with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its a good point Colin, its a shame like minded people cannot have a debate without what appears to be trying to wind each other up. It does not encourage anyone looking at the forum for the first time to post in the future does it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't think it's gone un-noticed, Colin. It's not easy to play the "Devils Advocate" for any length of time, but you're doing quite well. I have done it on several occasions myself, to the point where you start posting nonsensical questions just to take the mind off of other more depressing contributions. It's the reason I have posted so little in the last week, but somewhere in the background something has happened and apart from some bickering I think things have improved. What your missing Colin is a healthy dose of humour and a chin-wag (what has happened to LB, did he get that Knighthood?) from some of regulars. I feel I may post more myself, now that I have my free subscription of PC, courtesy of the Forum Meet. It's these little things that can cheer you up 8o

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol I am not drying to play the Devil's Advocate and i think I have quite a good sense of humour. The point I am trying to make is that no matter what topic area I click onto there is bickering. This forum was/is intended to help contributers of a like mund ie. caravanners and not to go down some political route or another or to try to instruct each other how to behave on site, etc. etc. We should be of sufficient upbringing to know respect for each other and their property and as for politics it is the route of all evils in the world not just this country. If other people want to go down that route and argue and throw insults that is up to them but I can asure all readers that I am not interested and I will not bother to waste either my time or electricity to log on to this forum again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lol I am not drying to play the Devil's Advocate and i think I have quite a good sense of humour. The point I am trying to make is that no matter what topic area I click onto there is bickering. This forum was/is intended to help contributers of a like mund ie. caravanners and not to go down some political route or another or to try to instruct each other how to behave on site, etc. etc. We should be of sufficient upbringing to know respect for each other and their property and as for politics it is the route of all evils in the world not just this country. If other people want to go down that route and argue and throw insults that is up to them but I can asure all readers that I am not interested and I will not bother to waste either my time or electricity to log on to this forum again.
Should have read .... like mind ....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you misread my comment about humour Colin. I didn't say you had no sence of humour, just that you (and the rest of us) were missing the lightheartedness of some regular members.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Should also have read ... not trying .... Now who needs a poor sense of humour with my typing/spelling skills. I did not misunderstand your posting LOL I just think that more contributers should get off their high horses and chill out abit with regards to this forum. What was a good helpful and amusing forum has now turned into a different baby with the latest postings. As you say if need be come back Lord B. all is forgiven.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

This Forum is far larger than just a caravan forum - just look at the topics it covers.

Towcars - where better to discuss something that effects us all? - Car tax and fuel tax.

Whilst I have difereing views to some on here there has only been one recent incident where one individual chose to take a generic comment personaly.

Some of us do have strong views but that's life.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive towcars is a valid topic area regarding caravanning. However I would of thought it shoud refer to the suitabilty of a particular car, performance, economy and the fuel used. Unfortunately the topic regarding this became more involved and went down the political route where by emmisiions were being discused as a green issue and the Lib. Dem.latest policy. This in my opinion is digressing from the topic area of caravanning. Politics should be divorced from a hobby in all shapes and forms otherwise we are going to be drawn into God know's what fiasco.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Colin.

When you meet a group of friends do you usualy set out the ground rules about the subjects that you are prepaired to discuss? I suspect the answer is no.

Do you not consider this foram a group of friends, old and new? I do.

One Moderator, (who I think does a fairly good and well balanced job) is enough.

This forum is great, both for the new and the experienced. Yes people will bicker and disagree as in the recent little spat. Why not do as many did. Watch with amusement but don't join in.

This is my parting missif as I am of to Italy for a month on Monday.

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin.

When you meet a group of friends do you usualy set out the ground rules about the subjects that you are prepaired to discuss? I suspect the answer is no.

Do you not consider this foram a group of friends, old and new? I do.

One Moderator, (who I think does a fairly good and well balanced job) is enough.

This forum is great, both for the new and the experienced. Yes people will bicker and disagree as in the recent little spat. Why not do as many did. Watch with amusement but don't join in.

This is my parting missif as I am of to Italy for a month on Monday.

ttfn
You lucky so and so - can I carry your bags sir, I don't mind doffing my hat to you and your good lady.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
You lucky so and so - can I carry your bags sir, I don't mind doffing my hat to you and your good lady.
*od off, were you not the hero who wanted to join with them up north and invade. I would always be looking over my sholder.

ttfn

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
My hubby would rather kick a cat around anytime, he doesn't them like anyway, we have no pets.

I wouldn't be able to stand the screaming!!!!!!!!!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
"In life one has few friends, but many acquaintances" it was said to me by an old sage when I was a teenager. I 've found this to be very true and applies well here as most of us do not know one another.

Our lives are ruled by many factors so of course the talk here broadens from just what adhesive coat hooks to use or if grease or oil should be used on corner steady screws.

Problems re levelling vans mystify me as do some other questions, but no doubt the people posting them have valid reason to do so. I though find it a little off putting replies seem to knock others advice.

If you are new to caravanning the learning curve can be steep, the net was not around to help us years ago so it was trial and error and a lot of laughs at times and the odd tantrum.

Often a problem withnthe van or its eqipment was overcome by re reading instructions, re reading could apply here to.

This site should be a few laughs to be remembered and the tantrums forgotten and not taken to heart!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome back cris

I agree 100% with Norfolk Mike. The only time that the subjects up for discussion are dictated is in a formal meeting with a Chairperson (notice how PC i am being today!) and a formal agenda.

This Forum is more like a chat round a BBQ or in a pub!

That is what makes it so interesting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CliveV ,have to disagree about this forum being like a chat around the barbeque.People appear to be more aggresive and rude via the keyboard than they would be face to face.

I have to agree with Colins comments about the forum in general and yes I know we live in the real world.

I have contibuted to this site from the start but due to the crap that gets posted,I stay away for months hoping it will improve....unfortunately it does'nt.The moderators have an impossible task but I feel they try their best.

As has been said several times..you do not need to read or view any of the crap,very true but sometimes there is so much crap that its hard to avoid.Been a caravanner for 30+ years and never had any problems mixing and enjoying others company but there are a few contributors in this site I would not like to meet on holiday but then again they are probably totally different people face to face (can't hide behind the keyboard).

Regards john.b.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
On a personal note, I am as outspoken if promted on a caravan site or anywhere else come to that.

As much as I enjoy caravanning I have seen very many annoying things on caravan sites.

On sites I have no music TV or anything else that may annoy others. My dogs are kept in the car or van so as not to annoy others. I do not drink booze so my judgements is pretty good and we go to bed at a reasonable time and are not crashing about or making noise that annoys others. If we come in late or go off early we leave the car away from the van so we do not disturb others.

Certain things on this forum lack balance.

This is an "open" forum so the admin should expect "open"

debate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris,like yourself I am considerate of others and that also applies to how I treat and speak to others.

That does not mean I do not put my point of view across,I may be old fashioned but I was brought up to treat others as I would like to be treated.

I also agree that it is an open forum but surely not open to abuse as has been demonstated several times in this forum.

Surely as adults we are mature enough to make a point without having to resort to the mindless drivel that we sometimes see.

regards john.b.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I returned home yesterday John.

Mindless drivel is part of our present day media outlets be they print, tv or radio etc. Some people pay to see it, here it is virtually free.

With respect to the mods and other forum members, you need to read some of the posts two or three times before posting a reply.

Try watching PM's questions, this is mild stuff on here, I'm not sure that you can class it as "squabbling".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I returned home yesterday John.

Mindless drivel is part of our present day media outlets be they print, tv or radio etc. Some people pay to see it, here it is virtually free.

With respect to the mods and other forum members, you need to read some of the posts two or three times before posting a reply.

Try watching PM's questions, this is mild stuff on here, I'm not sure that you can class it as "squabbling".
Chris, we will agree to disagree and not a bad word spoken....

regards john.b.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now steady on guys!

You are now having a debate that could get heated (well tepid at best) about people having a debate!

Where will it all end?

Watch out the Forum Police are at the gate ready to pounce on your free use of this Forum!

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I think a few people need to chill-out a little bit - this is such a good forum! I've been on football forums in the past, and some contributors struggle to speak english...

the forum etiquette is there for everyone to see, and from what I can see the Mods are fairly flexible anyway.

if there is cr@p flying around I just go and find one of the million-and-one other things I should be doing then dip back in later. dont let petty squabbles detract from the all the intelligent and knowledgable contributors there are on here.

kind regards Mark (",)

incidentally, Clive V you look sooooo much younger in the photos than I imagined from your postings.....!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts