Forums these days, glad this one is going strong with a great community

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
As per title. Just an observation really. I sharen't name them, but I've noticed that on a couple of others that I'm a member of (vehicle related ones) people are only going on to post when they have a problem, often not getting a response and if they do, not feeding back. eg One I joined last year looked to have had a really active, friendly group a few years prior, shame - would have enjoyed it: still some very nice people but lacking its community spirit. (NB Looking at dates, the visible change in atitudes long pre-dates Covid.) I know there are other active forums - but not for topics I'm particularly interested in. Maybe for some, platforms like FB are more popular now, but that's not me. Pleased this is somewhere to visit, read, learn, empathise etc .....Right Wayne's waffle over! Have others noticed similar?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Wayne for your comments, very much appreciated.

Taking some of your points, we still get quite a lot of initial posts requesting help , advice is given freely but then it all goes quiet with no feedback as to whether or not the problem has been solved.
Whilst we are not looking for accolades of how brilliant we all are (we already know that ;)), it would be very helpful to know "what happened next?"

I also look at some other "of interest" sites and have seen very similar trends as you mention, so it seems a common thing, and with the restrictions placed upon us by Covid, people are not out and about as they used to be so their focus has changed to things that they are doing right now.

We have had a few people register with this site who after a couple of tame posts then try and dominate the forum and any topics they visit.

It has taken myself and Parksy a very long time to get the forum to the place it is now , with none of the problems that have seen other forums close, and we intend to keep it that way.

We have the tools to sort out most problems as they come up with various ways of "convincing" some people to follow the rules, for which we are grateful to the new owners of the Forum for.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Waye.
An internet forum is only as good as it's members, and we have a group of loyal, friendly and knowledgeable members here who we value greatly.
As Damian mentioned, we now have the electronic tools to deal with most things that crop up from time to time, we are very well supported by the administrative team who work tirelessly behind the scenes to provide this website and forum, and we are lucky enough to enjoy the friendship, support and help from forum members like yourself.
New forum members are always welcome and anyone is welcome to come along to meet fellow forum members in person when the Woosie get togethers take place at least once a year.
Thanks for sharing you thoughts with us Wayne, let's hope that this Covid pandemic is soon brought under control, and that when we're all back outdoors with our caravans or motor homes this friendly online community will have new stories to add about our adventures.

Reactions: WayneS
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
During this time the motivators [Parksy and Damian]have kept this forum moving along with a good spirit. Reading what everyone has put about their views and experiences has made the discussion enjoyable for myself and I'm sure others. Looking forward to the coming season, visiting all the sites we have planned and hopefully returning to normal life will be more appreciative for people. I for one have been grateful to visit this forum each day with the restrictions of lockdown. It is also interesting about meeting other forum members at the Woosie get togethers to put a face to the names we discuss things with.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I have to agree, another caravan forum I was on got to be a personal platform for a few individuals pontification. Consequently, I only participate here now...

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 23, 2020
Visit site
As per title. Just an observation really. I sharen't name them, but I've noticed that on a couple of others that I'm a member of (vehicle related ones) people are only going on to post when they have a problem, often not getting a response and if they do, not feeding back. eg One I joined last year looked to have had a really active, friendly group a few years prior, shame - would have enjoyed it: still some very nice people but lacking its community spirit. (NB Looking at dates, the visible change in atitudes long pre-dates Covid.) I know there are other active forums - but not for topics I'm particularly interested in. Maybe for some, platforms like FB are more popular now, but that's not me. Pleased this is somewhere to visit, read, learn, empathise etc .....Right Wayne's waffle over! Have others noticed similar?
Most forums are dead now any way. People have moved away from them. It takes very little for the tone to change on a forum and as many that started 10 -15 years ago have now started to change hands so has the tone. Also a forum reply is in days even weeks where as a face book response is in minutes, so more go there instead. As i am old and a member of many forums its only recently i have started to post again on many and most i am only a read only member and would never change. As well as admin you also get a lot of members that "self admin" but their own attitude. I am also finding that a research only member is also not worth the aggravation either as say solar panels in 2005 are differnt to 2010 and changed to 2015 and have no likeness to 2021 panels. Some ideas date well others do not. You often find the main posters and forum new input is only 20 or 40 people. if several leave or change then the posting changes as well. in a forum this can alter a persons answers or attitude to replying. Face book is a fast changing and evolving system. I find it far more aggressive on facebook and far more controversial to ask either beginners questions or technically specific questions.

As for me here , i wanted to know some particular information in regards solar panels. I have searched ten word groups for and around my idea or question and were unable to find any form of information. I could ask a question. but do i ask a generally open question to cover the whole area of information i need. do i ask a technically specific question on one part of the idea. either way i know severalpeoplewillpost that solar has been done to death and i should not ask questions but look in the history section. someone will post that that cant be done, someone else will post it can be done.

Would i actually ask that question?
Probably not,

its safer to stay at google and to research the question else where individually

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
IMHO many people are moving away from FB as it is too invasive and there are privacy concerns. I do prefer forums as far friendlier.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I totally agree; this is a really well moderated forum-thank you all-doing a great job spotting little niggles that could escalate. Make the site much more enjoyable.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im a forumite. FB has never had any appeal for me. Twitter neither. The only modern stuff I use is Whatsapp on my mob. And thats only for family and a few very close friends. Im not a luddite, I just think too much of our lives is spent in the ether. I prefer to live whats left of it.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy reading the posts on here daily, I must admit I rarely offer advice on how to repair or fit things in the caravans, I’m a hands on person and can fit/fix or find solutions to most problems but putting answers on here in the hope I don’t **** up someone’s cherished caravan is not for me unless no answers to someone get posted I’d very carefully offer advice with a careful note if I’m guessing that to not just take my word for it, whereas in the flesh so to speak I’d tackle more or less anything rather than pay someone to do it, so to the people who post help on here I’d say well done and keep it coming and I’ll add my thanks to Damien & Parksy.

BP

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Im a forumite. FB has never had any appeal for me. Twitter neither. The only modern stuff I use is Whatsapp on my mob. And thats only for family and a few very close friends. Im not a luddite, I just think too much of our lives is spent in the ether. I prefer to live whats left of it.
The only thing i like about FB a Fishing forum and i like seeing the catches

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For me the forum is a hangout, a social space with like minded individuals. I don't use it so much as a technical reference. Shared experiences of the same problem does help though. Of all the forums I have been a member of at one time or another, this is the only one I have stuck with. Its certainly the friendliest of the forums. And of course, where else can you hunt woosies out of season.

Of course we all step out of line occasionally, especially those of us that think PC is nonsense. Im as guilty as any for that, but it helps to keep the mods on their toes. ;) But yeah, well done for keeping this place as it is. Keep up the good work.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This forum seems to have remained reasonably active and friendly and well monitored, so no complaints there. You do have to accept in this type of thing you will get people asking for help as it is one of the best places, it is a pity that many are not good enough to say thank you, but that is life. When reviewing things people are more likely to complain than praise. but that is again nature. The lack of opportunity to use the caravan may have reduced the amount of posts but this will not be clear until lockdown finally ends.

Last edited:
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Im fairly inactive on here during the winter, but once spring comes and thoughts turn to beer and barbies, I come back to life.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts