france - spain

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
hi, looking at going from Santander - Spain up thru France - next year over 21 days - looking for 5 star sites - can anyone advise where these are advertised ? or a good route ?

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
France doesn't have 5 star sites - 4 stars are the maximum. Sites advertise in many places - try the Alan Rogers Guide (or the website), Eurocamp Independent, the Caravan Europe 1 book, the Michelin Green campsite guide (which highlights 'exceptional' sites in red), and websites such as www.campingcheque.co.uk, www.touringcheque.co.uk. If you go to any of the Caravan Shows there are always tourist organisations promoting campsites - and campsite owners themselves - and you can collect many brochures. There is a 'Guide Officiel' to all the campsites in France - which contains details of all 11,340 sites! The website is www.campingfrance.com - and you can order the guide from them - it's in French, though. So something for everyone.

Can't help with the route - we've not 'done' Santander, because it's always seemed so expensive. We prefer to take a cheap ferry and 'meander' down through France towards the south - heading towards where the weather is best, and staying there as long as the sun shines, then moving on. We usually have two 17 day holidays - and prefer inland France, with it's mountains, gorges, and so on.

G

I think your definition of '5 star sites' is not necessarily the best way to look at it. Although all sites in France have a star rating the greater number does not necessarily mean a better site. Some 3 star sites are far nicer to stay on than so called 5 star, which are of course much more expensive. 5 star often means bigger and more entertainment and often beach side.

Look at the CC sites booking brochure for France and there you will see sites suggested, but not necessarily appproved by the CC. They are based on feedback from members and many have been in the book for many years and are very popular. They are usually the bigger sites which would fit your 5 star category. The Alan Rogers Guide also lists high quality sites.

As for a route north there are usually 2 choices.

You either drive up the Rhone through Lyon and Dijon and either cut towards Calais at Paris or keep going into Belgum if that is your choice.

The other heads through Toulouse up through Limoges to Orleans. Then you cut across towqards Chartres and then Rouen and up towards Calais that way.

There is also a 3rd route through Clermont Ferrand which is kinda midway between the other 2.

Depending how crazy a driver you are, allow at least 2 days to get from the Med to Calais. I usually take 4 but I am elderly and in no hurry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

Personally I would advise you forget about "5 Star Sites", with 21 days you can "meander" and experience some great locations. With modern caravans we are do not have to rely on the site facilities, you will find that most sites are generally very acceptable, there are the exceptions, but then you hookup and move on.

They main thing is to ENJOY

Use the forums to pick brains.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts