Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having done dear old Uk to death in our tourer, we are thinking of venturing abroad next year. We have never been abroad before so consequently have never driven on the other side of the road. What is it like when you get off the Ferry in France, and suddenly you have to start driving on the right, Is it easier than I imagine it to be?? Is St Malo the quietest port to drive out of for a first timer? We were thinking of going down to the Vendee area as it looks like our sort of place. Any advice and tips gratefully recieved.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Driving on the righthand side in France should cause you no problems, just take it nice and steady to begin with. Roundabouts can be a bit strange at first. I have been towing on the continent for nearly 20 years now and much prefer driving on the French roads which tend to be much quieter than our roads. St Malo is as easy as any French port to get out of and it is obviously the nearest for the Vendee. Go for it and enjoy a bit of French culture. Generally if you make the effort with the French holiday makers they will respond and it can be quite rewarding.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Take my tip and don't go for the quietest port at the quietest time. Go for the opposite. Arrive when it is busy and lots of other Brits are coming off the ferry. That way you will simply follow the guy in front for several miles and before you realise, you will have cracked driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. You will make a mistake at some point but I bet you anything it will be when the road is deserted and you will be pulling out of a quiet road, perhaps the campsite or a filling station. You will also find it a bit odd the first time you take a roundabout solo. But you'll soon be quite used to it. Remember that you always want the pavement next to you. Some people put a sticker on the windscreen to remind them, or they encourage their co-pilot to give lots of reminders. It really is nothing to get too nervous about and, strangely enough, lots of people get so used to driving on the right that they do fine, until they get back to GB and then have to learn to drive on the left all over again. My tip for the Vendee is to find a seaside spot that you like the look of, then drive inland for half an hour to find a campsite. You'll find sites are a lot quieter, cheaper and you'll get more of a flavour of real France. Happy motoring

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glenis, I personally find it no problem changing from left to right and vice versa but of course it does take a bit of getting used to.

Cherbourge has very good access arrangements and within minutes you are free of the town and on the N!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
GO FOR IT!!

France is a super country and there are a huge range of good quality sites. The higher rated sites tend to be far more luxurious than UK sites with a wide range of indoor and outdoor facilities, if that's what you want!?

I first visited France 10 years ago and have towed there most summers since. I had never driven on the right before but have had few probles. One quickly adapts and I persuaded my wife to drive and tow too. In all those years I've only pulled out onto the wrong side of the road once. It was from a petrol station and fortunately the road was empty and I realised immediately - with the help of my screaming wife!!!

I crossed first time on a night ferry to Roscoff. This meant coming off the ferry at 6am to virtually empty roads. My only confusion was when I got to my first roundabout - the traffic circulates in the opposite way to the UK, ie, anti-clockwise. French road signs even on major roads, tend to right on junctions and not in advance of them as in Uk so you need to alert and watch if you are needing to turn off.

The AA provide free route plans on their route plans for all French destinations. They're excellent and I always print one off.

BEWARE OF ST MALO. It is definitely not the quitest of the Channel Ferry ports. It is a very busy and congested town and the ferry port is right in the centre. I've towed from St Malo, Cherbourg, Caen, Calais and Roscoff. Roscoff is by far the quietest, especially on an early morning arrival, in my estimation and the terminal is outside the town in the country.

As to sites I'd recommend Brittany for a first visit. We've been to camping Du Letty at Benodet a number of times and its our favourite site. I've written a reply on it to another query nearby on this website.

For other sites I'd recommend the Alan Rogers "France" site guide and the Caravan Club "Caravan Europe" (Vol One). It's published every year and volume one (France) has a listing for most towns in France along with members' personal comments. It, also, has a section on French roads and other related matters.

If I can be of any further help feel free to give me a ring Tim on 01744 27962.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi glenis we went tofrance for the first time 2 years ago i was dreding it and we were the first off the ferry but just said to myself the pavement had to be nearest me and i got used to very quickley it dose'ntworry me at all now and the roads are so much quiter i havn't used st malo just le havre and caen whic are very easy try camping cheques for your site they have plenty and we have allways found them good go for do'nt worry you will be fine have a super time peter.h.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Glenis, France is a wonderful country, perfect for caravanning, good roads,good standard of driving, just be positive, they dont like ditherers!. St Malo is not a bad port to start from, you go straight onto an urban dual carrigeway, so you cant be on the "wrong" side. The first roundabout is always a bit of a shock! Just out of the town keep an eye out for a right turn signed "Rennes" take this and you are on a good dual carrigeway that will take you, without tolls, all the way to Nantes which is just about the northern end of the Vendee. There are not many filling stations on this road , but there is one not far out os St Malo, on the right, youll see it from a long distance.

Im sure youll get a lot more advice but dont hesitate to ask questions. Just take it easy for a while and Im sure youll soon settle down.

Bon Voyage,

JimF

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lenis ,

We have visited the vendee every year for 15 years, I agree that first time it is easy at a busy port to follow others. At ST Malo ten minutes off boat will see you clear of town and on good dual .

If you want a detailed route including way roumnd Nantes avoiding town centre and all dual carriageway ring me on 01935 825501. IN any event good luck!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All the previous is good advice - one other thing to remember (and it caught me out the first time I went abroad ) remember to allow for continental time when planning your onward journey. I.E. you loose an hour as soon as you land so not only are you dealing with unfamiliar conditions, however easy they actually are, but you have got that little bit less time to do it in. Also permitted limits vary with weather conditions.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't be worried about driving in France, It's a breeze, the problem is when you get back to England, after 15 mins you'll want to turn round and get back on the ferry, If you're going to the Vendee, st Malo is the best crossing for the first time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, I wish I had not committed to hols in Uk for this year because I want to get over to France and see what its like for myself now.

I will print all this out and keep the advise for next year.

thanks everyone.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am travelling via St.Malo to the vendee for the first time.We arrive early hours of the morning with approx 4 hrs drive to site.As this would mean we would be at site before they open up and not allowed on for a futher 4 hours my query is :- Is there anywhere to stay at the port for a few hours or are the service areas safe?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My wife and self were in the same position three years ago when we went to Brittany. We decided to do most of the driving in this country so sailed Plymouth to Roskoff, Stayed overnight on the port at Roskoff as wehad a late crossing and drove down to Brittany in the morning. Wonderful quiet road with no problems - remember when overtaking as you have to use the nearside mirror for following traffic and the passenger to advise if the road is clear ahead to pull out. Also pay attention to remember to go the other way around roundabouts. Apart from this ther was no problems - never encountered any mobile police or roadworks. Very little difference to this country apart from the two points mentioned. Good luck and enjoy your stay in France - we did.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Can anyone recommend a campsite near to La Tranche that has storage facilities?

I've looked on various websites but would appreciate some first hand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I remember thinking the same as you are about driving in France, that was 7 years ago. When I did it for the first time I thought what a fool I was worrying for nothing it was very easy, all one has to remember is that the curb is on your side. The French signposts are a bit naff compered to the UK, but In my oppinion I think it is easier to drive in France than the UK. Because the roads are not as busy etc. We live in Wakefield so the best and cheapest ferry crossing for us was from Portsmouth - Cherbourge we then drove down to the Vendee, there is a few toll roads on the way but only cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't worry about driving on the right it will come to you as easy as fally off a log, just remember to go around the roundabouts the other way, as for a ferry port, I've landed at 5 different one's, Cherebourg, Caen, St Malo, Calais, and Bologne, can't say any of them are difficult. Just go and enjoy yourselves.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts