France

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
We are looking at going to France with our tourer this year. I have been looking online with the c&cc . To be honest it's giving me a head ache having to keep entering my unit details everytime you do a search.
We don't now anything about caravanning in France ,which are the best areas? We have a teenage daughter (15) travelling with us.
I have looked at ferry crossings and unless you travel Dover to Calais they are very expensive,but this means travelling 2-300 miles across France to the likes of Brittany ,which to be honest I don't fancy at all.We live in the North West of England so would have a long journey to Dover.
Can anyone give us some ideas on nice sites for older teenagers not interested in kids clubs,is there anything closer to Calais near a beach or do we have to do a stop over in France and travel further. What is the weather like in North France? Is it like our English weather. I am beginning to think it isn't worth the hassle and just booking Devon or Cornwall
We are looking at end of July for 2 weeks
Any advice would be appreciated as I have said this is a first for us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course its worth the hassle!!!!!!! There always seems lots to do when you first undertake something new. It was the same for us in October when we went on our first cruise but planning a trip to France for us is no more hassle than going to the local Caravan Club site. I have no idea what a 15 year old girl would expect from such a venture but if you are going in the main holiday period there are bound to be other children of her own age. I would look for a site with at the very least a decent swimming pool. Weatherwise northern France is similar if not slightly better than southern England. Normandy is often overlooked but there is a lot to see. Some of the Normandy beaches are superb.
David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
When we had teenagers we used to prefer sites which had Eurocamp or Canvas Holidays tents and mobile homes. They generally had a good mix of nationalities, and other British teens for our two to make friends with. Have a look at the Eurocamp and Canvas brochures and see what you think. Sites such as Chateau du Drancourt might be an option - nearish to the ports, or a bit further afield and no beach but a good pool complex and plenty going on, La Croix du Vieux Pont.
Although it's a fair old drive to Brittany, many people do it and it's so much easier to find an overnight campsite to make the journey part of the holiday. Many towns and villages have municipal sites where it's not necessary to book a pitch - you can just turn up (preferably late afternoon rather than evening) and get a pitch. They are sometimes really lovely sites, with big pitches, and generally have good sanitary facilities. Two examples below:
Vatan.jpg

Municipal site, Les Rouelle des Loups, at Vatan.
StPourcainsurSioule.jpg

Municipal site, Camping de la Ronde, St Pourcain sur Sioule
We've only been to Brittany once, to Domaine de Ormes - which our teenagers loved. There is plenty to do and see, lots of lovely beaches and small resorts nearby, The old town of St Malo is interesting, and Dinan is stunning. The chateau at Combourg is lovely too.
We first went to France thirty one years ago, and have been back every year since! Now we've more time we go twice a year and for a longer period each time. We love it, and hopefully so will you.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The Caravan Club have some great offers on Brittany Ferries - not sure about the CCC, though. If you get a quote from the CCC for a longer crossing then check out the price comparison with the Camping Cheques website www.campingcheque.co.uk. Because you're buying a package of 'accommodation' (the three Camping Cheques you have to buy) and a ferry, then there is a special ITX fare which reduces the price by hundreds of pounds on some sailings, and some dates. The website gives details of those sailings and dates which qualify and others have reported savings of more than £200 and you've also got three Camping Cheques which can be offered for sale on websites such as this one, saving even more

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi
we travel to France every year from North West Scotland, Cornwall every alternate year, long journey whichever way you look at it! Personally don't like spending long periods on ferries so use Dover and try to make the journey part of the holiday. Cost wise very much cheaper especially if you use DFDS. Driving times to Normandy/Brittany border (around the Mont St Michel area} from Calais/ Dunkirk easy 6 hour drive plus roads are not cluttered like ours, in fact you will find driving in France a pleasure compared to home. If going further into Brittany e.g. Quimper area then around 10 hours. There is a marked difference in culture and attitude compared to holidaying in UK and makes the journey well worthwhile.

From Tebay to Dover usually takes me around 7 hours dependant on traffic with possibly 2 short stops en route

Hope this helps.

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Kie68
I'm writing this on the assumption that you possibly haven't been to France before.
Having driven down to the south coast of the UK why just limit yourself to a few miles, (or kilometers), when you get to France. It is a very big country with tremendous variation scenery and activities available. Some of these have no equivalent in Britain so there are lots more opportunities over there.
Driving is so much easier in France. The nighmare drive starts when you are coming home and you get off the ferry in any of the UK ports. You realise just how congested the roads are over here. French motorways are generally relatively quiet and get you from A to B very quickly and easily. They can be a bit boring and most of them are toll roads but all have very good rest areas about every 12 miles or so. Service areas with fuel are usually about every 30 miles. Keeping off the motorways is almost as easy a drive but with the added benefit of all the delightful towns and villages that you would pass through. Bigger towns and cities usually have a good bye-pass so no need to go through them. Wherever you go, make the journey in France part of the holiday.
Wherever you go in France there are plenty of campsites. Just about every town has at least one as do many villages. Municipal sites are usually very good value and well maintained although they don't usually have facilities such as bars, restaurants or pools. The Caravan Club's book Caravan Europe is an invaluable 'bible' listing thousands of sites and what members thought of them.
Where to go in France is really down to personal choice and what you like to do or see. We aren't beach people so we tend to like the mountains of the Alps which is no further to go to than Brittany. The Alsace region, even closer, is delightfully quaint as is the Dordogne region. Brittany is a bit like Cornwall and has a lot to offer including beaches.
Because of the size of France going to the beach is totally out of the question for many people but many of the enormous lakes inland have 'beaches' with swimming facilities. The Tarn gorge is a good adventure area with swimming and canoe hire.
The weather in France is usually much better than the UK although this cannot be guaranteed. In twenty years, though, we have only had two holidays when the weather really spoilt it for us. Sometimes, even in the mountains, it is just too hot to do anything.
During July and August sites get really full and busy, especially near the coast. Inland is quieter, (and usually much cheaper).
Wherever you end up going I'm sure you'll have a great time. 'Vive la difference !'

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
HI
We first took or caravan to france 2 years ago and like you were a bit cautious however it was great and we went back the following year. The first time we went we sailed with Brittany ferries from Portsmouth to Cherbourg in Normanday (5 hours crossing) and I booked it all through the caravan club and I felt the price was reasonable. The site we stayed at was a 26 mile drive from the port Camping La Cormoran near the village of st mere eglees (excuse the spelling lol) the site was brilliant and was right across from a nice beach in fact some of the pitches on the site had a sea view. The site had great facilities such as a bar and a resteraunt there was also a lovely outdoor pool and it was nice sunny weather for the whole time we were there. There was plenty of things to do nearby and also as there was plenty to do on the site we spent a few days just staying on the site and relaxing.
Then last summer we again went to France but stuck to the north and sailed from Dover to Calais and the site we stayed at was Camping La Bien Assise which was only a 8 mile tow from the port. This site was also fantastic and had a bar resteraunt and swimming pools. There was plenty of things to do close by such as WW1/2 musuems etc and there was also a large shopping centre which had all the main high street stores. I would definetly recommend the above two sites especially if you are towing in France for the first time and are a bit anxious but I think you would enjoy the sites and areas that I have suggested.
Good Luck!!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
kie68 said:
I am beginning to think it isn't worth the hassle and just booking Devon or Cornwall

It is definitely worth the hassle. We first visited France in 2000 and now go every year. I can still remember my apprehensions before my first trip, all the worries about getting a caravan on and off the ferry, driving on the other side of the road but it really is not problematic and well worth while.
We live in Scotland and have a lengthy drive no matter what crossing we use. In the past we have used Portsmouth - Caen, Hull - Zeebrugge, and for the last two years the Tunnel courtesy of Tesco vouchers. Tunnel is my preference now.
As others have said driving on French roads is more relaxing than on U.K. roads, a lot quieter and only really busy around cities and large towns.
Regarding the area to visit, it is really down to personal preferences and choice. I appreciate you might not want to drive too far from whatever port you arrive at but would suggest you do not auotmatically stick to the areas in the north near the ferry ports. Consider either the Vendee with it's beaches or the Loire valley with its chateaux, both areas a bit farther south and with a better chance of warmer weather than the northern regions. Both areas can also be reached on the same day of arrival depending on the crossing route chosen.
We have in the past travelled Portsmouth -Caen on the overnight ferry and travelled straight to sites in the Vendee. The Loire is also acheivable in one day from Caen.
Loire can also be done in the one day from the Calais area.
As others have suggested do have a look at deals from the Caravan Club but I would also suggest and recommend Select Sites, I have used them numerous times and found them helpful and competitive price wise. Good selection of sites in all regions.
http://www.select-site.com/
Have a look out also for sites that are part of the Castels group. These are normally of a high standard.
One I can recommend in the Vendee is La Garangeoire
http://www.camping-la-garangeoire.com/en/index_en.htm
Any questions please post again as there will always be someone here who can help.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Absolutely worth the hassle - do it once and you will wonder what all the worry was about. Suggest from Dover area go round Paris to Orleans and then some of the Loire valley. All sorts of things in the various chateau to interest an intelligent teenager, e.g. the interlocking staircases at Chambord; Da vinci's house at Amboise; Villandry all doen out with veg.

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Like you we live in NW England and got hooked on France a few years ago when our daughters were in their early Teens. I would suggest you drive down to Dover late afternoon(5 to 6ish) avoiding the worst of the rush hour and book into Folkestone Caravan Club site where you can arrive late and be off early for the ferries or tunnel. Tesco vouchers is a good shout for the tunnel, alternatively you can get a decent deal on the ferries (£85 - 140sh) depeding on the operator and the times you prefer to cross. If you havent been before I would strongly recommend one of the Clubs (Caravan or Camping and Caravanning )- we have used both and are excellent to book sites ferries and all inclusive insurance.Northern France is very simlar to England in Climate, I would strongly suggest you aim for the Vendee which is a LOT hotter. Certainly if you like good weather and beaches and dont mind a full day driving then its worth it. The roads in France are much quieter than over here especially if you make use of the toll motorways. We found Brittany a little to much like England and preferred the climate on the Atlantic coast. Whatever you decide, go for it. try it once and you will be hooked!
Jim

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
You have had some great advice - I do hope you will GO FOR IT! I know the feeling about entering your details online - but I suspect it would be worth talking to a person in the C & CC. I was taken to France with a caravan first when I was 7 years old. I wish I had the picture but I will post it one day - it was when caravans and cars were lifted onto the ferry at Newhaven with canvas slings! Having taken my 'van to most of the Scottish Islands including Shetland and Ireland a couple of times - ferries are a doddle. That is as long as they don't make a mistake and load you in the wrong place as happened returning from Shetland - I was going via Orkney as I thought the trip to Aberdeen too long for my elderly dog - but they loaded me in the wrong place! It held the boat up for at least 90 minutes before they extracted me! Oh said one of the chaps - they told me two caravans were for Orkney - there were only TWO caravans on the boat!!!!! Luckily I am old enough not to worry about things like that and old enough to make THEM back my outfit the whole length of the boat!

I am planning to take me and my dogs this year to Brittany with caravan of course and it is 59 years on! It will be my first trip solo with a van but since I have done it with a car and a tent last year (as a dry run to visit my brother in Brittany). I needed a stop between Dieppe and them. However as it has been said the roads are really brilliant and from Dieppe it was a 6 hour drive only to central Brittany. I spent the night near Mont St Michel in a perfectly adequate site which was the first I saw near the Mont. Be prepared for lack of seats on the loos in France though!
As I like to tour a bit I am wondering how one finds out about the Municipal Sites that people mention. My 'Van has all I need in the way of shower etc - so I don't need "posh" facilities - just fresh water really. So saving money would suit me nicely.

Happy Touring folks

Pippa

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can find all the Muncipal campsites in 'Le Guide Officiel de Camping Caravanning' available from Vicarious Books in Folkestone (you can order on line), but many towns and villages have them, and they are well signposted.
You may also like to get an ACSI card (www.campingcard.com) which offers sites at either 10, 12, 14 or 16 euros for a pitch, car and caravan, two adults, awning, and electricity. The tariff depends on the site, and each site specifies the period when it will accept the ACSI card.
Or Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk) - £13.95 for same pitch plus deal, or Touring Cheques (www.touringcheque.co.uk), or Vacansoleil Cheques (£9.00 for same deal).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts