France?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Imagine yourselves to be a couple in their mid 50's, where in France would you holiday for 4 weeks May--June and reasons why.

I am asking because I just cannot think of anywhere that I would really like to go.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are about your age Steve and going to France in May for 7 weeks and then again September. We love the Dordogne, and at this time of year it will not as busy as July/August.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is difficult to answer, as you have not stated your interests. I would book somewhere nice for the spring BH week, and apart from that enjoy the freedom of being able to go as I please.

In 4 weeks, I would try to get down as far as the Dordogne, head east and then come back through Germany - maybe the Black Forest.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, I would do what Mike suggests and not book anywhere but just go where the mood takes me. France is a huge country with lots to see and do so I would amble around 1 night here and there and if I found somewhere I liked stay for a while longer.

I would like to go to Landes, the Archechon basin in particular, because I normally have to take my holiday in peak times and would like to see it when it is less busy.

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My husband and I enjoy the area around Perpignan - close to Spanish border so very easy to visit camp sites in Spain as well.

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My husband and I enjoy the area around Perpignan - close to Spanish border so very easy to visit camp sites in Spain as well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
France is vitually empty of tourists at that time of year except me of course.

I always say go to the Dordogne, especially if the people have never toured in France before. There's a lot to do in that region.

For me the Black Forest is too far to go after the Dordogne - but 'horses for courses'.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
France is vitually empty of tourists at that time of year except me of course.

I always say go to the Dordogne, especially if the people have never toured in France before. There's a lot to do in that region.

For me the Black Forest is too far to go after the Dordogne - but 'horses for courses'.
virtually!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Evans my sprot or spot would be found at www.esterel-camping.fr at Agay. Not the cheapest of sites but it is superp terraced in the Hills just outside Agay about 5 minutes from the beach. Bewtween Nice and StTropez you can enjoy the med and the high life of the area and you are within easy reach of places like Grasse and the inland hills and not to far from Monaco or Italy if it takes your fancy.

Sadly my wife and my work means we could only ever visit July and August, on our 3 trips there we had superb food on site and fantastic entertainment in the evenings often abandoning evenings out to watch top class music acts.

Entertainment standard was fantastic on each visit and after years of rejecting the area, we were hooked. July and August was so so busy I would give my right arm to travel there earlier in the season and laze on the beaches or play the wonderful golf courses. Scenery is so spectacular along the coast and inland to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were in our mid forties 20 years ago when we started going to Brittany every May-June

We go on the C& CC Rally at Sarzeau and can thoroughly recommend it .

Have a look at www.campinglebohat.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi steve the best part of caravaning is the freedom so why not just go were ever takes your fancy we did it a couple of years ago with camping cheques they booked the ferry and we took 45 cheque with us went down to arcehon first for a couple of weeks lovley then across to baziers and the loire we didn't pre book any sites ther are plenty in the guide and they are all pretty good but if you don't like one on arrival just move on you don't pay untill you leave merry xmas peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve - as suggested try Camping Cheques - send off for their guide - over 550 sites, most of them in France. (camping.cheque.co.uk). Choose the sites you like the look of and spend as much (or as little) time in each as you choose. You'll pay only

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
In answer to the question, if you do not feel spoilt for choice are you sure you want to go? If I am wrong and you do, then get yourself a pocket full of camping cheques, a low cost ( via them ) ferry x-ing and go and find out. The world ( or at least France) is your oyster.

regards

mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve - as suggested try Camping Cheques - send off for their guide - over 550 sites, most of them in France. (camping.cheque.co.uk). Choose the sites you like the look of and spend as much (or as little) time in each as you choose. You'll pay only

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
But there are 11,000+ campsites in France, so why limit yourself to only roughly 5% of them.

Most too are on the coast, and if you like me don't need the seaside, they are not for you.
We don't limit ourselves to Camping Cheques sites - we stay all over, I was simply suggesting the Camping Cheque guide as an illustrated list of sites, which has good pictures and is easy to read. We use ACSI, Michelin, the Caravan Club, tourist information offices, or 'just passing and it looks nice so let's try it.

There are actually loads of Camping Cheque sites in the interior - and some of them are award winners. However, some of the best sites we've stayed at are small municipals where you get to know everyone very quickly.

Oct 26, 2005
Visit site
I'd recommend France's 2nd (to Le Mont St Michel) most visited town of Rocamadour as a 'target' with a week spent getting to it, a couple of weeks touring the Lot Valley across to southern Limousin, followed by a leisurely week spent heading back north.

We've just covered that area, and IMHO it's a fantastically overlooked area of France. Also, the weather is the same as the Dordogne (it's next door) and it's more picturesque and the people there (and the sites) are friendlier.

If you need more details let me know. I'd be happy to recommend some sights.

Jeremy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd recommend France's 2nd (to Le Mont St Michel) most visited town of Rocamadour as a 'target' with a week spent getting to it, a couple of weeks touring the Lot Valley across to southern Limousin, followed by a leisurely week spent heading back north.

We've just covered that area, and IMHO it's a fantastically overlooked area of France. Also, the weather is the same as the Dordogne (it's next door) and it's more picturesque and the people there (and the sites) are friendlier.

If you need more details let me know. I'd be happy to recommend some sights.

Jeremy.
Jeremy please could you post your route and the sites you used.

We went down Eastern France for 4 weeks this year to Alsace Region and stayed at Obernai. We are elderly and do not want the Coastal area [we live in Cornwall].

In 2006 we are booked Dover/Dunkerque 16/5 - 14/6.

Many thanks

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jeremy I have a reply in 'Comments' but just in case you don't read it perhaps you would be kind enough to post your Route/Campsite and any other useful info. 2006 will be our 2nd visit to France and we will be there for 4 weeks May/June.

Many thanks

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts