Free Cash Withdrawal in Germany

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
This is just to let those touring Germany know that it is possible to withdraw up to 200 Euros without charge using their credit card by shopping at any REWE supermarket. So long as you purchase items totalling at least 20 Euros, you can have up to 200 Euros added to the bill and this will be paid out in cash.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the 'heads up' on that Lutz.
We are visiting Germany this summer and then to Italy via Austria and again to Belchenblick in the SW on the return journey.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz
Great news, we always try to use REWE as they seem to be the only Germany wide supermarket that accepts credits cards as far as I can tell. Apparently they caused quite a storm when they originally announced they would accept them. Not sure if we will have much opportunity to make use of the offer this year as we are just passing through but you never know. For those of us who are a bit challenged when it comes to requesting things in German what phrase would you use to make such a request?

Thanks

David

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lutz
Thanks for the tip on the credit card and also mentioning the best Super market chain to visit for my breakfast goodies.
Where off to Lake Constance on the German/Swiss border in June, travelling via Koblenz for a overnight stop.
Looking forward to it....
Kev...
smiley-cool.gif

verlassen Sie englisches durch kommen der Weise
(get out of the way english, coming through) I did cheat and use Babelfish.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brum said:
Lutz said:
Hi David,
If you care to phrase your request in English I can give you a translation.

"May I have cashback please"

Lutz

Something along the lines of what Brum said. I suppose it depends whether its something that they ask automatically. Is cashback a regular thing in German supermarkets if using bank cards? In the UK supermarkets offer it as a means of getting rid of cash to avoid bank charges!
David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm afraid I have overlooked something. I have just come back from a REWE shop to learn that the cashback offer applies only if paying with a German card. Humble apologies. I should have checked better before posting this thread.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz
It was a nice thought while it lasted!!!! Just a question though, how do they know its a German card as the cashier rarely sees the card?

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I believe the first 4 digits of a credit card indicate where it was issued. I imagine that a card reader will automatically identify a foreign card even if the cashier doesn't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts