Freelander 2 rear parking sensors

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Freelander 2 has rear parking sensors energised when reverse gear is selected.

The sensors are not active once the caravan 13 pins connector has been put in place, but is very active when backing the car up to the caravan to hitch.
Some cars have a switch or other means to disable the sensors but not, it seems, the Freelander, The noise is considerable and very distracting and prevents me hearing the instructions from OH as to remaining distance.

It occurs to me that since the sensors are inhibited by the insertion of the caravan plug, it may be possible to cure this problem by using another 13 pin plug while backing up. I've established that a plug without any wiring does not achieve this, so guess there must be some electrical/electronic sensing in the car identifying that the caravan is present.

Has anyone any ideas on how to wire this plug to look like a dummy caravan ? Obviously I do not want to risk doing damage to the car electrical system.

Alternatively, can any one suggest a solution other than finding the power supply fuse to the parking sensors and inserting a switch in the supply side - not easy as the fusebox is under the glove box and the fuse box labels do not agree with the handbook details in several respects.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought but what about a normal 21w light bulb connected to the reverse pin ( 8 ) + earth pin ( 3 ) just so that it imitate's the reversing light as it will then sense the amperage being used approx 1.5 amp and should turn it off ?

13-pin.jpg

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Measure the resistance of the caravan reverse lamp bulb.Buy a resister of the same measurement,fit it in the dummy socket.You can buy proper load cells to do a similar job when body control units wont accept LED lamps.hope it helps.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
There are three fuse boxes in the Freelander 2. The one you require is in the spare wheel compartment forward and to the left of the wheel. The fuse for the park distance control is FB1. Maybe you could fit a switch somewhere in the luggage compartment either from the fuse box itself or trace the feed to the sensors. My 2007 HSE aslo has a switch on the dash and I wonder if maybe the wiring for yours is there and if you may have a blanked off position for the switch and it would be possible to just buy a switch. You could try looking at http://www.freel2.com/forum/
and see if anyone can help, you'll probably have to register to ask questions or search.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mikey, thanks for going to all the trouble to identify fuses,

I.ve not checked on the vehicle yet but the instruction book I have shows the load space fuse box FB1 as controlling the Electronic central differential and the parking aid module to be F38 in the engine compartment fuse box.

FB2 in the luggage space box is shown as caravan fridge and this is the only cravan related fuse in this box, the rest being in the passenger space box. Some planning !

It seems beyond the technical acumen of Land Rover to group all caravan and trailer related fuses in one place.

The good news is that the engine compartment box is the easiest to access (assuming, of course, that the vehicle wiring agrees with the instruction book)

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ray

Sorry the fuse location isn't tallying up with yours, obviously they all change with the year of car. Hope you get it sorted.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Appreciate the input from Forum members. Incidentally posed the problem to the supplying LandRover main dealer before posting here. You will not be surprised to hear I have not had a reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts