Freelander cycle rack

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I am needing a cycle rack for my Land rover Freelander, is there anybody out there who can recommend one which is good for towing with 3 cycles? Has anybody used the one featured on this website fitting on the spare wheel mount and is detachable? (The support arm is secured by a bolt or padlock)Any info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Use to have a Maverick Ron and bought a Witter tow ball mounted cycle rack designed to fit 4x4's with spare wheel on the back. This carried 2 adults and 1 child cycles whilst towing with no problems encountered. It was around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ron,

I bought one from Halfords a couple of years ago. It was only for two bikes. It was secured by a number of straps around the spare wheel and worked fine. However the bar the went over the spare, caught the rear wiper. I over came this be removeing the the fuse. Other than that for the price of what i recall to be circa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ron. A couple of threads recently have asked highlighted the load a cycle rack adds to the tow bar. You must add the weight of the rack and the cycles to the nose weight of the caravan. If this exceeds the tow bar limit, you will be illegal. Many 4X4s have much greater limits than cars, but you must still take account of the extra laod.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I considered the Halfords model, but I rejected the idea because it fouled the brake light. In the end I made my own - but am seriously considering the Land Rover product.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use the Witter model that fits on the tow hitch and it can be fitted and removed in seconds, We have used ours on a Frontera and a Freelander without any problems whatsoever and would recommend this model unreservadly. Good Luck. Roger.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My brother has used a Cyclemaster with 4x4 adaptor plate with pleasing results on a Freelander. I have used same on a Nissan Teranno but the bracket contacts the bumber so a drop plate has to be used. The "Cyclemaster" is available from Towsure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts