Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
Since moving our van to another seasonal pitch in a different part of the country and despite the internet telling us that our Freeview box would work where we were going we cannot get any signal. We have bought a booster socket but that won't work because we don't have any signal whatsoever to boost. The TV gets five terrestrial channels without any problem (plugged into our aeriel on top of the van). Are we doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anne, presumably when you say "the aerial on top of your van", you mean the Status?

If so, then they are notoriously bad at reception, as theypick up signals from anywhere in a circle, hich may be ok for stronger land based transmitters, but as freeview boxes rely on digital signals, which are set very low so as not to interfere with the French!! you need a high gain directional aerial.

If you go down the satellite route, Maplins have good offer on atthe moment, the satellite in a suitcase, this has a "free to air" receiver with it, but to get Ch4 and 5 you will need a sky digibox or Pace receiver, and use either your own viewing card , if you have sky at home, or one of the "freeview" cards, which cost

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
Anne, presumably when you say "the aerial on top of your van", you mean the Status?

If so, then they are notoriously bad at reception, as theypick up signals from anywhere in a circle, hich may be ok for stronger land based transmitters, but as freeview boxes rely on digital signals, which are set very low so as not to interfere with the French!! you need a high gain directional aerial.

If you go down the satellite route, Maplins have good offer on atthe moment, the satellite in a suitcase, this has a "free to air" receiver with it, but to get Ch4 and 5 you will need a sky digibox or Pace receiver, and use either your own viewing card , if you have sky at home, or one of the "freeview" cards, which cost

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Damian Thanks for your reply. We are not technically minded so can you tell us how the sky box will work at the caravan as we thought it worked from the telephone line at home?
Hello Anne,

Your sky box at home does not need to be plugged into the telephone line to work.

I know that for the first 12 months you are obliged, by Sky to have it as such, unless you say right at the start thatyou do not want itconnected.

After the 12 month contract period, you can unplug the telephone wire from the box!!

The TV pictures are beamed down from satellites and th signals are capture by the dish on the front of your house, and directed to the sky box, where they are unscrambled and you get the picture on your screen.

The same thing happens with a mobile dish, such as the Maplins one, the signals are captured by the dish, sent to your box for unscrambling, and you have the picture.

Aligning the dish is the "tricky" bit, but even I, who is totally "sat ignorant" managed to do it, even if it did take me a long time the first time!!

There is a direction finder compass in the set, and it is reasonably accurate, but with the on screen signal meter, it is easy, once you have done it a couple of times.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we can get 2 transmitters where we live, if you point to one you can get all 5 terrestrial channels but no freeview, with the other you only get 4 terrestrial channels and freeview

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
we can get 2 transmitters where we live, if you point to one you can get all 5 terrestrial channels but no freeview, with the other you only get 4 terrestrial channels and freeview
Hi Thanks for your reply. Do you mean we would have to adjust the position of the status on the top of the van? If so, how do we do that? We're not very technically minded. Thanks

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anne, I hope you have sen my reply to your comment earlier.

Your second comment ,regarding the Status aerial,and realigning it,well,simply put, it is not possible if it is one of the "Mushroom" shaped ones fitted.

When I said about a high gain aerial,I meant you would have to get a second aerial, from B&Q or similar outlet, and a pole,and mount the aerial on the pole,outside the caravan, and connect to the freeview box, aligning the aerial to get the best signal strength.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The internet freeview reception checker may be based on postcode but it assumes a 10m high domestic aerial. A 3m high caravan aerial won't give more than a fraction of that signal level so don't be surprised if freeview doesn't work.

One website suggests that only 40% of campsites will EVER get acceptable digital reception.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts