FREEZING DIESEL

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you will find it is LNG that we import from Russia, LPG is a by product of refining crude oil and if we run out of that petrol and diesel will bit in short supply as well.

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Henry S said:
Emmerson, LPG is just fine until Mr. Putin does a hissy fit and closes the Valve !
Henry

Hello Henry, Kjell sent you an e mail, but was just saying he hasn't heard from you for a while, if you have a new address can you drop him an e mail?
Thanks, Jennifer

May 21, 2008
Visit site
LPG is fine for now as long as you are running a petrol engine.
But perhaps more prevelent. The honeymoon period will end soon when the government tax it to death like they have done to petrol and diesel.
Even today a business anylist stated that USA is still selling fuel at the pump for peanuts compared to us and still running cars doing 20Mpg.

I wonder what the Alaskan Ice Road Truckers add to their diesel to stop it freezing in -40c. I know there are fuel heaters avaiable, but at that temperature, one would have to heat the fuel tanks too, to avoid jelly forming.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I've heard all the arguments and stories about how LPG will be taxed to the same level as other fuels, but if the man puts it up to the same price as petrol tomorrow, I will still have had almost 15 years of half-price motoring.
There is a calculator on the LPGa site which works out your annual savings, dependent on usage, and last time I checked, I saved almost £12,000. In anyone's wallet, that is a lot of money. And yes, it takes into account the cost of converting two of the cars.
Once again, exits wearing smug expression!
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Following the above, I've just done a check, and with petrol at 1.27 and gas at 0.68, I will save a futher £2,700 over the next 12 months. That's another free holiday!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
emmerson said:
Following the above, I've just done a check, and with petrol at 1.27 and gas at 0.68, I will save a futher £2,700 over the next 12 months. That's another free holiday!
OK emmerson i think i know where you are coming from, and indeed there is no doubt running a petrol car on lpg should give you good savings in a longer period . going by your estimated savings [and i am not knocking] you either do a hell of a lot of mileage, or you aint driving the most modern of vehicles, as you must be using almost £100 a week in fuel [petrol] to make a saving of £2700? by switching to lpg?

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jonny. The saving is calculated on the mpg and annual mileage. In my case, thats 15000 miles at approx 12mpg in my 4.2 litre 1994 Range Rover.
I've just filled up our "dog van", a 1994 Volvo 850, cost £67.00!! To put that much in the RR, I'd need a tank the size of the boot,bearing in mind that you cannot "fill" an LPG tank.!
And yes, average over a year, I probably do spend around £80.00per week on fuel.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Phil. Depreciation is nil, as the car is so old. In fact, because it is a fairly rare Classic LSE, it might even appreciate in value.
Maintenance costs come down to only what I cannot do myself; in the ten months since I bought this particular car (its my fifth Classic RR), it has cost just over £400, but these are "capital" repairs, which hopefully will not recurr, brake pipes for MOT, and two height sensors for the air suspension. Anything which doesn't involve lying underneath, I do myself.
Even allowing for heavy fuel costs, it is cheap, luxury, reliable motoring.
If I had to run it on petrol, however, that would be a different tale...........!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Henry, but Range Rovers and LPG are two of my passions! I just cannot understand why more motorists don't use LPG.
It's not only for big cars either. I have a friend runs his Fiesta on it!

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Prior to gettingmy diesel jeep I used supermarket (Tesco) petrol in my VW polo.I had no end of problems withit cutting out had it to the dealersseveral times who connected their computer thingyand said we cannot find anything wrong.Stop using supermarket fuel and hey presto no more problems that was over two years ago and never had another minutes worrywith itsince I no longer put supermarket fuelinit.
As for diesel freezing years ago that was a problem. I live up the north of scotland where it has been between -17 and -21 this winter and never had a problem with the diesel freezing. I think too many people driving diesels jump in turn the key and expect it tostart, without waiting forthe glowplug light to go out telling them they can start the engine.Impatience and poor drivingskills.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts