French bed ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Notice the review of the new Modena van refers to a French bed. Not being familiar with this term exactly what does it mean ? Perhaps my memories of French beds are longer / older than those of the designers. To me French bed brings to mind uneven levels and frames, creaking with every move, rolling down into the middle, and - very occasionally - strange and unwelcome bed fellows.

Probably not the current understanding. Will someone explain please.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ray
They are very common. Longitudinal fixed beds on the n/s or o/s where the bottom side of the bed is cut off to allow more passing room. Basically the bottom of the bed will be about 6 inches narrower than the top.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a bed website:
What is a French Bed?
It is a sturdy, heavy duty iron or wooden bed featuring ornate and delicate carving. When travelling in Europe the term French Bed is also used to refer to a bed/mattress whose width falls between a twin and a double bed and has nothing to do with the decoration or construction of the bed or frame itself. In Italy a "letto francese" is also called a "one and a half"" or "una piazza e mezza" meaning a width equivlilent to one and a half twin beds.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, nothing to do with cut off corners, THAT is a wonderful idea of caravan makers to give one person the most uncomfortable nights sleep possible.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
That might be your opinion, but mine as a 6 footer is different. I sleep superbly well, without ever noticing the cutaway, -- that's probably 'cos my shoulders are a lot wider than my legs!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
That might be your opinion, but mine as a 6 footer is different. I sleep superbly well, without ever noticing the cutaway, -- that's probably 'cos my shoulders are a lot wider than my legs!

Coffin shaped? :cheer:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Ray, Ray, Ray. Until this year they were called "nearside fixed bed" and "off side fixed bed". Then Transverse island beds became all the rage and so some marketing [strike]twit[/strike] hard working executive decided that a better name was needed. "French bed" sounds romantic don't you think? Connotations of Paris, the Moulin Rouge and other things to do with "romance" that start with the word "French". You are far more likely to buy a French bed than a nearside fixed bed. Calling it a "bl**dy inconvenient when your OH has to get up in the night to go to the loo and clamber over you" bed, doesn't have the image power of French or Island.
Hope you are now up to speed and are fully appreciative of the effort being put in on your behalf by the marketing and image departments of the caravan manufacturers. :cheer:
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts