French holiday

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a carravanner for 40 something years in this country, Herself and I are at last going to take the outfit to France this year.Unfortunately, it has to be from mid-August to mid-September.Because we have a dog, we need a short ferry crossing.I fancy Norfolk line to Dunkirk, as we will be visiting family in the Loire Valley,then friends in the Vendee.The whole trip will be for 4-5 weeks.The towcar is LPG powered. We need to be back home by late Sept..Your comments and assistance appreciated.

Aug 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We sailed mid August last year with Norfolkline 4.45am crossing. After having been with Brittany Ferries in the past, and had a bloke in the car next to us trapped because of space, I was so relieved to find the amount of space on the Norfolkine boats fantastic. Bear in mind that it is a budget crossing and no frills, but the food was cheap, the seating on board the boat was plentiful ,and I was relaxed especially with the little cinema that kept the little one happy!!

I can recommend les Bois de Bardelet in Gien in the loire, great site , again lots of space not jam packed!!About 3km from a good shopping centre with Auchan and an LPG pump and Lidl etc.

my review of the site and others is here

http://www.campsitereviews.com/english/site_000199.htm
if you don't fancy this one there are 130 others to choose from!!

Regarding LPG try this site with links to all garages that sell it.

http://stations.gpl.online.fr/appli/index.php
Have fun where ever you go

Jacqui

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Jaqui and Val.It seems Norfolk line have it at the moment.Sites aren't a major problem,except for an odd night here and there as we'll be pitching at my brother's for the early part of the hliday, then on friend's land later, but thanks very much anyway.Oh, and we will have fun!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson,

Dont have a gas car myself but recall from earlier threads that the nozzle or the neck of a british LPG tug is different to those over the water. Sorry I cant be more specific but I think you need some form of adaptor to transfer the french gas into the english tank(if you see what I mean).

No doubt a gas user will join in and clarify my very foogy attempt to help. I have seen the adaptor on sale on Ebay and I have also read somewhere that a certain garage just over the water does a killing selling them.

PS Have a good time. Our first visit last year to the Loire was a howling success and we cant wait to get over to France again this summer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again Emmerson,

Ive been into the site recommended by jacqui. If you click on the fifth flag along marked 'OTHER SITES' it will open up a new window. The window is divided left and right. On the right side, third down is the title,'BUTANE AND PROPANE FRENCH COMMITTEE'. See the words 'VARIOUS ADAPTORS'. Click on that and the page will show the different types of connections used in Europe.( Why cant we all sing from the same hymn sheet!!!)

The pictures there speak volumes compared to my clumsy efforts.

Its in French of course but you can copy and paste it into google that gives a fair translation.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Emmerson, If you can find the right deal on P&O Dover Calais you have no worries about being late for a ferry as they cross every hour. Cheaper crossing during night if you book it right.

Auchan , E LeClerc and other main French Hypermakets sell LPG, I looked at the price at Auchan LeMans last year and nearly fell over it was so cheap. Hypermakets have pay booths at exit generally and not a lot of room if any for a caravan. On my travels I've seen brits unhitch vans to get LPG and diesel at Hypermarkets. And remember fuel stations close in the evening and at weekends and UK chip and pin cards still work in few 24/7 pay pumps!!!!!!!!

You can get cash at Hole in wall machines at banks and hypermarkets same as here, And instructions do come in English if you didn't know!

We mainly fuel up and eat on route at hypermarkets rather than motorway stops with the van and when working.

www.viamichelin.com will give you routes and you have the option to expand the route to show town layouts, you can choose road types and towing caravan options. And you can get road work and hold up details before you leave. Sign up as a user as it is free and more options are open to you. RAC and AA route finders are OK as well, but I find Michelin web routes good.

Bon Route!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks to all who've replied to my questions.The website you've suggested is just what i'm looking for, and Google has even translated into english! Aren't computers wonderful! Pity the holiday isn't til August! I think we may need to make a practice run before then. Thanks again.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Emmo. France is so easy to travel in with a van behind. You'll love the open roads and lack of traffic most of the time.

Most of the time it is far simpler than towing here even though you are on the "wrong side" of the road.

Don't forget french hook up adapter for your electric and a polarity tester from you local caravan shop. And if you are going for 5 weeks or so you need gas bottles in the van that can be changed in France or know that you have enough for the time away!!!! ?

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson,

not all campsites here in France have the old style plugs, requiring all sorts of adaptors etc. Many now (like us) have the UK type (blue) plug that you're familiar with back in the UK. Hope you have a great time here in the Loire Valley.

TRENDING THREADS