French recommendations!

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Basically, i'm looking to pop over the channel this year but don't want to travel a million miles away from the main channel ports. So, assuming a trip across to St Malo or Cherbourg i reckon somewhere along the Atlantic coast no further south than Saint Nazaire.

I require a site on or within walking distance from a beach, with decent sized pitches, doesn't cost a fortune and has sufficient amenities to keep a 4 year old amused!

Also need EHU or preferably a servivced pitch!

So then, what do you recommend - particularly on sites that people have stayed at rather than how they look in the broucher. A trip to ile d'Oleron a few years ago put me off that!

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
We have been a few times to a site in southern Brittany - Camping des Isles at Penestin. It is in the Caravan Club Travel service in Europe Book - available from club on request - and also now back in the camping cheques book which is good in low season. Site is right on the beach, decent sized pitches, good pool complex and play area for young children. The beach is good for young ones as well and you can just carry your chair (or whatever) onto the beach and watch them make sand castles.

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi
We took the van over to France for the first time last year and stayed at Camping Le Cormoran which was only 22 miles from the Cherbourg Ferry port. It was very easy to get to and it was right across the road from a lovely beach you even get a sea view from some of the pitches. On the site there was a bar/resteraunt/takeaway and the site was very good it is listed in the caravan clubs european travel brochure. I would definetly recommend this site especially if it is the first time you are taking the van abroad.
Hope this helps!!

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
If you did want Normandy then Le Cormoran is ideal especially for young children as the site is flat and there are plenty of different play areas to suit differing ages. for a 4 year old there is a lovely fenced area with plastic houses, castles and slides together with a shed with toys and games in. There are bouncy castles free of charge and a lovely pool area for the warmer months. We go religiously every easter as there is an indoor heated pool. My son went here first when he was 11 months old and my daughter when she was nine weeks. We have been going annually since and my son is now nearly 12.

Going back to southern Brittany some friends of ours have gone to Le Moustiers (?) at Carnac with young children and enjoyed it so much they returned the following year. If you do want the Atlantic coast then you will have to travel past Nantes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts