French speed limits for over 3500kg outfits. How many exceed?

Sep 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,
I don't condone speeding, but have not previously adhered to the lower speed limit for cars which exceed the 3500kg train weight. My car which is automatic prefers around 62- 65 mph (Indicated on Speedometer) to hold 6th gear and I also find that the torque generated at that speed deals with most inclines without dropping down a gear, It would hunt up and down at 56 mph.
So yes it is illegal, I've owned up for not complying, However for a quick vote who else doesn't keep at 56 mph?

For the record, before speed and stability are questioned I tow at 60 %,

Regards Paul.

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I misunderstood the speed limits last year for our first towing holiday in France, happily driving at 70 amd the odd 75. I have only found out recently that I was way over the limit.
The Ranger 550/6 is carefully loaded and nosewight weighed (+alko stabilser), I have towed this at 100% and now at 70% and always found the outfit very stable probable due to Bailey design and speed testing up to 99MPH.
We really should consider the chance of a slow puncture, losing air and resulting in a blowout. Maybe Bailey should do a trial and show the affect of a blowout at these speeds?
This year I have planned the journey with no need to speed!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You do need to be careful as the toll tickets are timed and you can get fined if your average speed exceeds the maximum for your outfit. I suppose the saving grace is that the booths probably cannot easily work if the maximum weight is under or over 3,500 kg.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I try and abide by the national speed limits of whichever country we are travelling in, for two reasons. One so as not to give police an opportunity to stop me and levy an on the spot, or any other fine. The second is as a visitor out of respect for that countries laws. Howver on some sections particulary long inclines the XC70 auto is quite content to sit at 1500rpm in 6th but with a loaded car and caravan in tow I prefer to have the engine spinning a bit higher when pulling hard, so I just nudge the pedal and she drops down a gear. It doesnt show any tendency to hunt the gears which some other autos weve owned have done, but were that the case id move it into manual mode and select 5th gear, thats what its there for.

Dec 12, 2007
Visit site
I think you will find that Is not so I also used to think this The Police can catch you as in this country with the aid of cameras
Generally I find I do stick to the limit using the cruise control, however the HGV's know when it's safe to go that little bit faster

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts