Fridge on 12v

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2005 Bailey Ranger 380/2. My car is fitting with dual electrics. When the caravan is connected to the car, and I turn on the fridge ( same button as if I was hooked up to site electric ) the light doesnt light up and the fridge does not chill. There is a 12v switch inside the van, this I suspect uses the caravan leisure battery, but with this swithed on, the fridge still doesnt work. Is there something I am not doing right?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It should not light up until the car's engine is running; and with some vehicle relays until the alternator is actually charging. Just coupling up is not adequate to do the checking.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It should not light up until the car's engine is running; and with some vehicle relays until the alternator is actually charging. Just coupling up is not adequate to do the checking.
In some cases switching on the ignition will also work, depends on the relay fitted.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Malcolm

You should have a three way switch on the fridge:-

Gas

12v electric

240v electric

To the best of my knowledge the 12v only works off the towing vehicle when the engine is running. The 12v leisure battery does not supply the fridge other than the interior light in most applications.

We always try and reduce the fridge temperature on the mains before towing. The 12 v system is ok but will struggle to get the initial temperature down.

Cheers

Dustydog

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi malcom

we have a 2005 bailey ranger 380/2 so is probably the same model as yours, first ignore the 12v switch on the main panel (the one near the volt meter)this is just for the habitation control from the lesiure battery) and should be turned off while towing.

the electrolux fridge will have two switches on the left hand side plus a knob for the temp control "ours is set at 5 and is just about right" one switch the biggest one is green the other is smaller and red, the green one is for 240v when on hookup and the red one is the 12v on/off switch, ok so far.

before towing it is important to cool the fridge down to normal operating temp either by hooking up to 240v " green switch on/red one off. or by using on gas "the two knobs and red igniter on the right of the fridge".

this is because while towing the 12v will not be enough to cool the fridge down just maintain the temprature that the fridge is at already. and will be disconected every time the car is parked "engine off" while under tow.

the procedure for towing goes like this once the fridge is down to operating temp,:- unplug EHU or turn off gas, switch the green switch OFF. switch the red one ON. leave the control knob "set @5" at this point none of the switch lights should be lit once the car is hooked up and the engine started the red switch should light up showing the fridge is on 12v, but dont forget the engine must be running as the fridge will be disconnected when the engine is off, via the smart relay on the car. "once the engine is restarted the red switch will light up again automaticaly".

once on site turn OFF the red switch and turn the green one ON "while on EHU" the fridge will then work normally on 240v.

"oh" and if it is the same as ours the fridge will have winter vent covers on so take these off for summer use as it effects the effeciency of the fridge,

let us know how you get on following the above,

all the best

colin

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Malcolm, are you sure you are getting 12v supply from car?

At risk of repeating myself too often on here I had same problem (13 electrics) and found fridge supply not connected to car socket.

Bill D.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Bill D.

it could well be a problem with the 12v supply to the fridge that is the next link in the chain after it is established that Malcolm has all the correct switches set properly it could just be that the 12v fridge switch is off.

untill we have a response or update from malcolm any further comment would be pure speculation on our part. you said that you had a similar problem with a 13pin plug I can understand that as my last tow car was wired up with 12N and 12S plugs when I got it but it did not have a smart relay fitted so nothing worked correctly it was only after hitching up the SIL van to the car knowing that her van was ok that the feed wires were suspect.

colin.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts