From Bailey to a Swift

Jan 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi We are thinking of buying a Swift Challenger 540, we have a Bailey Senetor Louisiana at the moment.

we would appriciate your views on the Swift please.

Cheers Chris

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris,

We have a 2001 challenger 500, similar sort of layout to the 540 however ours is older.

The overall quality of the van has been great, appart from one leak on the awning rail but all vans leak.

The interior is really nice and the mattress is great for my wifes bad back.

No problems so far with interior coming away like we had with our previous van (an avondale)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian

Obviously im opinion you are not comparing like for like. The Senator's counterpart at Swift is the Conqueror range and maybe the Bailey Pageant S7 is nearest to the Challenger.

Whilst I am a bailey prejudiced tugger I nearly bought a t/a conqueror last november. Two things stopped me, and I emphasise it was a very close run contest with the Senator Wyoming.

1. The Swift price was

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris,

We have a 2001 challenger 500, similar sort of layout to the 540 however ours is older.

The overall quality of the van has been great, appart from one leak on the awning rail but all vans leak.

The interior is really nice and the mattress is great for my wifes bad back.

No problems so far with interior coming away like we had with our previous van (an avondale)
all vsns leak ?? utter rubbish.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
all vsns leak ?? utter rubbish.
Hi David,

Im basing that on my experiences because the 8 different vans we have had in 20 years have all had a leak and also friends vans have also had problems.

And they have all been different makes.

As i said this is on personal experience and maybe you have never had any problems!

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Brian

Obviously im opinion you are not comparing like for like. The Senator's counterpart at Swift is the Conqueror range and maybe the Bailey Pageant S7 is nearest to the Challenger.

Whilst I am a bailey prejudiced tugger I nearly bought a t/a conqueror last november. Two things stopped me, and I emphasise it was a very close run contest with the Senator Wyoming.

1. The Swift price was

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
brian, i have had two sterling elite onyx's and had to reject both of them for faults.

i then deceided to go for a bailey senator wyoming and i cant fault this van.

if you have a look at my comment on general ( my bailey senator wyoming ) then it might help a little more.

check everything the finish, look in the cupboards and check all wires are hidden away. check that the blown air heating pipes are fixed correctly etc etc.

i hope i have helped

jo-anne

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
brian, i have had two sterling elite onyx's and had to reject both of them for faults.

i then deceided to go for a bailey senator wyoming and i cant fault this van.

if you have a look at my comment on general ( my bailey senator wyoming ) then it might help a little more.

check everything the finish, look in the cupboards and check all wires are hidden away. check that the blown air heating pipes are fixed correctly etc etc.

i hope i have helped

jo-anne
sorry its on buyers guide.

jo

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

Maybe you have been unlucky but only one of my caravans ever developed a leak and that was an old Ski from 1974. Even my old Castleton Rovanna was bone dry. I have now had a number of newer 'vans and none of them leaked ie Elldis and Bailey.

Was it your Swift that leaked or another model?

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I changed last year from a 3 year old Senator Arizona to an Abbey GTS 418. A different layout but the spec. was pretty much the same. The only thing that differed was the on board water tank which I'd never used.

I didn't go for the Bailey fixed bed model ( can't remember the name ) but only out of personel taste. I didn't like the reddish coloured wood and some of the fittings such as the soap dish and toothbrush holder were so unbelievably naff it seemed like Bailey had lost the plot.

To me the Abbey seemed lighter and airier because of it's colour scheme. The reason I didn't go for one of the other Swift group of the same layout was simply the decor.

Both vans are equally well constructed ( 6 year warranty ). The quality of upholstery of the Abbey is slightly better but the Bailey has an outside shower for washing your wellies, dog, wife, etc. All of the remaining equipment is made by someone else. Carver, Alko, Thetford and so on.

I've had no problems with either van. If I change this model I'll go for what I feel comfortable with. I really don't understand these people who are so blinkered and prejudiced that they cannot accept someone else can make an equal product and try absolutely everything to make you think their way. I appreciate some may have had a bad experience with a particular manufacturer but It's almost as if they are looking for others to endorse their choice.

In my opinion, with recent first hand experience of both manufacturer's both are equally very good. You won't go wrong with either. You've got to live with it. No-one else.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian

Must say I have never had a caravan leak but on the subject of choosing between the 2 models I really think it is down to personal taste as these days there seems to be about 2 suppliers of fridges, showers, water systems, doors etc and you are really at the mercy of the quality control of a third party company.

Personally I find the Bailey front styling very awkward and the colour of its bodyshells terrible. However you just can't fault them on a value for money front.

Your local dealer will probally be a big deciding factor as well, The Bailley dealer in our area really swung me the other way when I went to veiw a van there and he told me to get a move on as they close in half an hour for lunch.

The main thing at the end of the day is that you are happy with your purchase and that it satisfies your needs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well Brian ,

This has sparked off an interesting debate!

As far as I can see the caravans I've used and owned over the last 10 years use either Al-ko or BPW chassis

the fridges are either Dometic ( Electrolux) or Thetford

The toilet has always been a Thetford, even the Port Potti in my Ski caravan.

All the recent cookers are Spinflo or Stoves

The heaters have all been Truma

Hekis and omnivents, tyres are trailermax or matador.

Both Swift and Bailey are fairly open about their methods of construction, videos are available. I've no reason to believe other manufacturers are any different except perhaps the more upmarket hand built jobs.

As I said before we really liked the Swift Conqueror and the Elldis Avante 505 was indestructible. We chose what suited us and there it is.

What perhaps needs better airing on this forum is a quality / reliability survey of all the makes available. That would be very interesting. maybe when Hezzer upgrades the forum computer we can have an online survey?

Cheers

Alan

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Alan,

I do agree with you, some friends have never had leaks on their vans and others have.

our first van a robin leaked, then the front window of an ace then an elddis rear leaked, then a swift motorhome leaked in the overhead bed, then an avondale leaked through the front, rear, washroom and kitchen window, then a new avondale leaked and was sent back and then we had an awning rail leak on our swift.

But it hasnt put us off caravanning

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts