From Calais to Lake Maggiore, Italy HELP!!

May 28, 2008
Visit site
We are taking our carvan to Europe this Summer and were hoping to get as far as Lake Maggiore in North West Italy. How many days would it take and what is the best way to get throuh the Alps? I have heard the Mont Blanc Tunnel is best but what about gradients? Is it okay for Caravans?

Martin, Manchester

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To get to Lake Maggiore, especially the northern shores, I would tend to use the Gotthard Tunnel rather than the Mont Blanc, unless you particularly want to avoid paying the Swiss motorway toll. But, either way, gradients aren't a problem. You will find that they are probably a good deal less severe than what you may be accustomed to in some parts of the UK.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Although it is longer, consider the free motorways through Belgium, Germany, and over the Brenner Highway (toll and a climb) in Austria into the Dolomites.

Personally I think on balance I preferred Lake Garda to Lake Maggiore, especially as you can use the very cheap Italian railways to do day trips to such as Verona and Venice. From Maggiore you big city choice is Milan - which is a bit of a let-down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts