Front heavy Elldis Hurricane

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have trouble ballasting my Elldis Hurricane to get the correct nose weight , I have a 12kg gas bottle , a dedicated position for the spare wheel in the front locker and a 110 amp battery

right up in the front left hand corner which is giving me 108kg

of noseweight before I start to store anything under the seats

so I am having to ballast behind the wheels to get down to 95kg

on the nose , and I am not happy with the stability of this setup , I don't want to carry the spare wheel or the gas bottle

inside the van and as I look on heavy items like that as projectils under heavy braking , I already put the awning spare table and chairs in the car , so I am at a loss as to how to ballast without breaking the nothing behind the wheel rule , any ideas anybody , I have never had a caravan that is so hard to balance , R J

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
looks like you'll have to get rid of the weight from front locker,put the wheel in caravan when packing,just make sure it easy accessable.never put gear in rear of axle to stabalise

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
looks like you'll have to get rid of the weight from front locker,put the wheel in caravan when packing,just make sure it easy accessable.never put gear in rear of axle to stabalise
Try getting one of the spare wheel carriers which goes under the van behind the axle, also try changing your gas bottle for the 6kg bottles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ron,

Don't forget that the caravan acts like a pair of scales, and to effect a 10Kg change you only have to move about half of that weight from the front to the rear so moving the spare wheel should make a quite a difference. Carefull loading should be able to correct your excess nose weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had same problem with the same caravan, we bought a wheel carrier and put it under the caravan close to the rear of the axle and only carry one gas bottle in the front locker. Problem was solved.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments , My wife made a suggestion after reading the responses and suggested that we leave the 12k

gas bottle behind as we will be on a hookup , so let's hope that we don't get a power failure on site I have not been able to try any of your suggestions yet as I have lost the key to the hitchlock and although I have the key No SAS won't supply a new key so I have to drill the hitchlock off . We are away for a month from Sat Thanks again , R J

TRENDING THREADS