Fuel prices

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
We boycotted motorway fuel stations years ago.
Food, drinks and fuel are a complete rip off. If everyone else boycotted them the prices would come down or they would close. I made the mistake of being tempted in to an M&S simply food motorway outlet last year, the prices sent me in to a state of shock that I'll not recover from for many a year
smiley-smile.gif
so our boycott continues.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
In the news today
"BRITAIN’S biggest ever petrol station opens today — holding a staggering 1.3 MILLION litres of fuel.
SHELL will unveil a huge forecourt on the M25 with 36 pumps, 141 nozzles and the capacity of serving 3,400 motorists a day.
It takes a WEEK to fill up the underground tanks at the site, based close to Cobham, Surrey.
David Wood, Shell UK marketing manager, said 150,000 cars would be passing by the site every DAY.
But he insisted the oil giant was likely to make more money selling premium coffee and food from its shop than petrol.
He told the Sun: “The margins on petrol are pretty slim.”
Shell expects to open 250 petrol forecourts this year — after buying site from rival TOTAL."

Well that's another one we'll be avoiding spending money in!

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Just as well if you were anti-clockwise as there is only room for 3 'vans in the caravan parking bay. The sign has been missing for over a year and you find all sorts parked there. Complete madness, as everyone has to park their 'vans at an angle in the car bays taking up 4 spaces each! Hopefully the new services up the road will be more caravan friendly.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Morrisons have just hiked LPG from 67.9 to 71.9. Sadly, thoughj, its still the cheapest round here.Petrol seems to average around £1.40

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just laying up near to Dortmund on way back from Krakow where fuel prices were just over £1 per litre in non motorway service stations and tolls were only £2 for miles of motorway running. But you've got to like pork, dumplings and cabbage!! Good trip and well worth the drive via Dresden and Prague. Car averaged over 40 mpg..... But we did leave the aluminium box and dogs back at home.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I get the feeling that fuel prices are being artificially inflated because the great fuel rip off is about to be investigated.
There has been a Commons debate today about fuel price fixing and speculators 'fixing' the price of oil and Robert Halfon MP has called for the Office of Fair Trading and the Financial Services Authority to launch a full investigation into UK oil companies with the possibility of prison for those guilty of price manipulation.

The fuel companies are making hay while the sun shines, evidence suggests that UK motorists and haulage companies are reaching the end of their tether with the fuel suppliers and the government over the sky high fuel prices and unjustified increases.
If you feel that the rising cost of fuel caused by hedge fund speculators ought to be investigated join alost 317000 others who feel the same way by signing up to FairFuelUK

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Parksy and have yet to see a satisfactory explanation as why UK diesel is more expensive than petrol yet in Europe the reverse is the case. I believe that as UK motorists have moved towards more fuel efficient cars the industry has striven to maintain profits as fuel usage reduces. Whilst I support any political moves I really doubt that any investigation will do anything but merely scratch the surface. Anyway the way government milks the motorist and imposes fuel duty makes me sceptical of their true motives as being to direct attention away from their actions.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
One of the problems is that our refineries have suffered from lack of investment.
The major oil companies sold the refineries and their new owners concentrated on profits not looking long term.
Some refineries are owned by Swiss equity companies or Indian oil companies.
The result is we produce more petrol than diesel and this gives us a shortage of diesel resulting in the highest diesel prices in Europe.
They can investigate all they want but I expect very little to happen because so much of the price is fuel duty and VAT.
If we don't tax fuel what do we tax to raise the revenue for the Treasury Coffers?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
fuel company's make a good profit , and so does our goverment , these same firms supply other countries like Ecuador where its about a £1.00 per gallon , i am sure there are lot of other countries where its a lot cheaper , its not only what it costs , but how many hours of work do you have to do to obtain a litre , i worked out that a school crossing lady in Australia would have to spend about a 20th of her hourly rate to buy a litre of fuel , while in the UK she would have to spend a 5th

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
We export some petrol but import diesel.
I think there has been two refineries closed, recently, in the UK. They had become unprofitable mainly due to the finance arrangments when they were bought. The reduction in overall fuel consumption made them unprofitable.

An even bigger worry is the price of Marine Bunker Fuel, now hitting $650/tonne.
This will dramatically increase imports/exports of all goods.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
The only problem with that idea Colin is you would need to have confidence that the company would still be around in a few weeks time.
Outside Stirling a few years back a retailer took over a forecourt and was selling cheap fuel providing you signed up to a research programme. This allowed fuel to be sold without duty but the loophole was very quickly closed.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I think that somewhere around Nottinghamshire ther eis an oil field which pumps out a limited amount. Shale oil is another issue which the UK has plenty of but extraction is a problem. Oil reserves around the world are huge and the USA is sitting on one of the biggest reserves.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Returning from Goodwood this morning, LPG at West Meon was 86.9p. That is simply gross profiteering, as even on the M4 it is still below 80.0p.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I guess that would be Meon Hut BP @ 86.9 for lpg. Petersfield BP has lpg @ 74.9. So yes. RIP OFF West Meon!
It's worth signing up at www.petrolprices.com and pre checking prices at likely fill up areas along your route via pc or mobile phone

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Dead right, Gybe. The advantage is that Meon Hut is literally on the roadside. I didn't fancy hauling the big white box into Petersfield to look for a gas station,particularly on Friday evening on the way down!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts