fuel protests update

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
dear windyship

they do charge fuel tax on it already its about 30p a gallon but seeing as the local chippy has to pay to have the stuff (about 20gallons a week)taken away it seems like a good trade to me.

of course I may have to turn the garage into a refinery as I would not now use 20 gallons a week. he,he.

meister

i am not saying that walking is suitable for all I am just saying is that ALL of us even the disabled use their cars for unessasry journeys from time to time and to say that every car journey is absolutly nessasary is frankly b******S

yes there are those for who the use of a car is vital but not for every trip a neibour of mine takes the kids to school and brings them home twice a day (inc lunch) in a grand cherokee and the school is.

800yds away??

were all guilty of it especily me jump in the car go to work jump in the car come home jump in the car to go to the chippy (at the end of the street) because it was raining.

my point is the only way to get the fuel price down is to stop buying fuel or should i say less of it and that means finding alternatives.

over the last few years I have come to the conclusion that my hobby and lifestyle are under threat through rising prices and have taken steps to reduce costs this is one of the reasons I decided to sell the motorhome and buy a van (the smallest that we could live with) and buy the most economical car to tow it with. yes its a question of choice and this is mine.

colin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - reading your latest posting can I assume you will be making a trip to your chippy for two reasons: initially to satisfy the inner self, but whilst there you can take the oppertunity of filling up your car with chip pan oil. What a beautiful smell from the exhaust - you will have every body out thinking a mobile chippy has turned up in the street.

That could be enterprise - mobile chippy and when renewing the oil from the friers pour it straight into the fuel tank - recycling at its best.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Seems to me that using less fuel would fix the problem for the individual and would have ecologically benefit, unfortunately tricky for less able bodied people.

The Govt clearly have no interest in promoting better use of public transport as can been seen by the approval of the latest rail fare increases.

If I use my Yaris to travel 12 miles each way to work and back it costs

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
colin- yorkshire

I really feel that you should not make assumptions about what journys in other peoples lives/activities are or are not really necessary.

Without wanting to sound rude I must say that you seem (to me) to be talking out of the base of your spine.

Steve

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've watched perfectly able bodied caravaners drive the 4x4 from Caravan to camp shop or empty the Toilet cassete.

How do you know that they are able bodied? My brother in-law looks able bodied, but in fact has a serious heart condition and always takes his cassette in his car. Perhaps people like him should wear a sign, so we can all see that they are disabled, or on the other hand we could all just mind our own business and not make broad sweeping statements on subjects that we obviously no nothing about.

Steve W

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
colin(bridgend)

what a wonderfull thought buy a van convert it into a mobil chippy waste oil straight into the tank "brilliant" trouble is one would have to go on working holidays just to keep the tank topped up I dont really fancy that.ho. ho. ho.

on a more serious note the cost of fuel is rising and continues to rise so as I see it you have only two choices pay up and stop complaining or use the car less to offset the increases its as simple as that I have decided to do the latter thats is my choice whats yours??.

if we all use less fuel or find alternatives the price will come down eventually it will take time but it will come down.

it does however take initative to make this happen even if we dont agree with it in the first place.

it amazes me that the mention of a teddy bear in some far off land puts the price of fuel up in brittan but there you go!!!

colin

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
It seems everyone has accepted the fuel prices,the week end was very poor see below

Fuel price activists have vowed to launch larger, more disruptive demonstrations next month, after last weekend's protests failed to attract support.

Protests were planned at oil refineries across the UK, but they were poorly attended.

Figures compiled by the BBC suggest 25 protesters appeared in Southampton, Hampshire, one protester turned up in Purfleet, Essex and none at all picketed the Grangemouth refinery in central Scotland.

The protests were called by a group called Transaction 2007, which represents hauliers and farmers, after average fuel prices topped

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
At the end of the day the more fuel costs the more we have to pay for our goods. This will put up inflation as the costs get passed onto the consumer. Most people have pay rises based on or around the inflation rate. I feel Mr Brown will very soon have his very own winter of discontent and will finally lose what little grip he has left on the country.

Mr B needs this extra tax money to give to our mates in Europe you know - you didn't really think road tax gets spent on the roads did you?

By the way where are all those people who voted for Labour now?

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Colin,

I voted for Labour and I'm still here, it makes no difference to which party runs this country, fuel prices are on the rise and will stay that way.

My journey to work is a 12 mile round trip and this is done on a bicycle in all sorts of weather.

I know I'm one of the lucky ones, but sometimes you have to try and come to terms with it.

Would I attend one of the protests? Nah..I've got better things to do on a weekend, like going away in the caravan,

best regards, Martin

May 21, 2007
Visit site
was just catching up with previous posts and after reading some on this subject, I am all right Jack comes to mind. I would have attended the fuel protests but they were all to far for me and I could not afford the fuel. Should there be anything that I can attend then I will be there. What some of you seem to forget is that the fuel increases affects you all in everything you do and complacency will not help anybody. No doubt the high horse sitters will be the first to fill up if the tax came down on fuel and they are usually the ones queuing when there may be a fuel shortage trying to squeeze 20p worth into their tanks. same old same old, stick together, what - you must be joking we are British.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apparantly the cost of fuel per barrel dropped considerably yesterday $95 per barrel - will this drop in price be reflected at the pumps? Tesco in Bridgend is 108.9 per litre diesel but in both Cardiff and Swansea is considerably less - shouldn't they have a standardised price throughout the UK or is it again a supermarket rip off.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I always assumed that fuel, like every other commodity sold by supermarkets is sold at a price the local market will stand.

Sainsbury's certainly sell fuel at different prices in different stores as I have purchased fuel at three different sites on the same day.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If supermarkets are adjusting their prices to suit local markets then this should be outlawed. They buy in bulk to satisfy their costings and then sell to Joe Public as the market dictates. There should be the same price per comodity throughout the UK. All I can say is that they are conning the public and should be brought to task.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, To a point I agree with your reasoning but the truth is that some areas cost more for transportation and as such any goods will cost more. What should happen is the goverment should be monitering the big suppliers to see if they are fixing their prices to match other local service stations thereby creating a cartel. Any of the suprmarket chains or big petrol suppliers caught price fixing should be hammered to set an example to the others.

Marc

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Marc in the 70's I worked at a garage with a forecourt attached. The fuel came from the depot at West Drayton, less than 30 miles away, but it cost us more than fuel delivered to the site the company owned in Leicester. Another case of what the local market wiil stand.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Marc - I can understand your reasoning for the transport costs, however Bridgend is situated half way between Cardiff & Swansea so whether the fuel delivery comes to us from the east or the west they have to pass Bridgend to deliver to either Cardiff or Swansea. Therefore in this particular instance I am afraid I must disagree with you sir.

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
According to the green lobby we can't drive carbon polluting vehicles because of global warming, secondly that we can't have atomic energy because of the waste, three can't have wind farms they are ugly, four can't have water barrage schemes they hurt the ducks.

But at every environmental meeting you see them arriving by car and have all the lights blazing during the meeting and running electric guzzling projectors to show how bad we all are, one guy when asked how he arrived at a meeting said I don't own a car they are evil well how did you get here then? he had a lift off a mate, bloody hypocrites.

I think the paranoia around carbon emissions has gone on too long the government is using this to extricate more and more taxes out of the public especially motorists and those driving 4 X 4s the most.

The government do not advertise the fact that since last year a company called Microgen http://www.micropower.co.uk/about/whatismicropower.html have developed a central heating boiler that utilises the sterling engine technology invented originally for submarines in the WWII.

These gas fires central heating boilers combined with smart meters allow consumers to not only cut their fuel costs but due to the differential in hot and cold air supply electricity back into the National grid and if 1 million homes used this boiler it would give the power output equivalent to the Dax Power Station the UK's largest power source with dramatically less pollution.

One transatlantic flight emits more carbon that a caravaner driving a 4X4 each weekend for a year, the caravaner would be spending his money in the UK and not the States therefore supporting local businesses.

The caravaner tends to be fitter and greener and take advantage of the countryside to cycle or walk.

This is in line with the governments wish to get the nation fitter yet they penalize them for doing it.

If any party was to say "vote for us and we will end this unfair fuel Tax", would you vote for them?

Well I hope some one out there will because he would walk into number 10

Stu

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
If this government was really serious about global warming why is diesel more expensive that petrol?

Being that diesel gives off less Co2 than petrol.

I would have thought that they should be promoting diesel.

Its all to do with conning us out of more money.

Edd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts