full time touring

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
In july we are embarking on a life of full time touring working as we go. I am on medication my doctor will post my scripts to me but is there any one who works as a despensing chemist who can tell me if a prescription issued in Northern Ireland will be valid in mainland uk. Any full time tourers out there got any advice.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Check insurance as policies on car and van only cover you for a few weeks towing a year I believe. Working from and living in a van may be a problem.

Also you may be restricted with time allowed on sites and there are sites to be found ahead of winter as many close!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Go for it William as should you read the posting regarding fuel prices we apparantly are all doomed as the world is going to end with global warming so your small contribution will not make any difference. Good luck.

My other thought on this topic would be that you could fall into the catergory of becoming a "traveller" and not allowed on some sites. Although the vast number of travellers/gypsies are respectable there are a minority who have given the majority a bad name and you could end up in that catergory.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
William

On our cl we have many of our visitors who are full time caravaners, The first requirmwent to to join one of the clubs, ours is the CC you can then stay up to 28 days at any CL that will have you, You have to leave after 28 days but can return any time you like ie out the gate and back in again ( the rule makers have no snence of reason) Most of our full timers stop for 10 to 14 days and moove on, looks a great life with living costs less than the average council tax.

David from Suffolk

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi William.

A very interesting topic, I'm considering hooking up the house and saying sod it to tradition.

I too have the need for daily medication and also depend on a sleep apnea pump at night so would need to have electricity.

I have seen a few places (one in worcester) where you can hire a mail box for postal handling, so I guess Banking and medical post could be sent to that and then they could forward to a specified address when asked to. I.e. when you stop for 14 nights some where.

I've always regarded our caravan as our oasis as 99.9% of the time you are in a friendly environment both in the van and on the site, and you choose where you go and what to see. I'm regularly pleased to not have a mobile phone signal as then work can't spoil my rest. As for TV well what is there worth watching.

I met a guy on the Isle of Wight who was a touring park warden. He lived with the wife in a large motor home on the island for 9 months doing 40Hrs a week at the site and then they buzzed off to Spain in the motor home for a twelve week holiday of their own. He said if they ran short of cash he'd do a bit of wardening over there. When asked what he did perviously, he told me he was a branch manager for an insurance firm and his wife was an administrator for a firm in Liverpool. They both have not regreted the move and treat the working aspect as more of a hobby than a chore now.

Good luck with the life style swap and keep us posted with progress.

ATB Steve

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
Go for it William as should you read the posting regarding fuel prices we apparantly are all doomed as the world is going to end with global warming so your small contribution will not make any difference. Good luck.

My other thought on this topic would be that you could fall into the catergory of becoming a "traveller" and not allowed on some sites. Although the vast number of travellers/gypsies are respectable there are a minority who have given the majority a bad name and you could end up in that catergory.
colin bridgend - if all you have to worry about is fuel consumption and the cost of fuel you should not be caravanning. It cost money to part take in any activity so why not sit in the house and watch tv then you could worry about allthe electric you are using

Mar 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi William.

A very interesting topic, I'm considering hooking up the house and saying sod it to tradition.

I too have the need for daily medication and also depend on a sleep apnea pump at night so would need to have electricity.

I have seen a few places (one in worcester) where you can hire a mail box for postal handling, so I guess Banking and medical post could be sent to that and then they could forward to a specified address when asked to. I.e. when you stop for 14 nights some where.

I've always regarded our caravan as our oasis as 99.9% of the time you are in a friendly environment both in the van and on the site, and you choose where you go and what to see. I'm regularly pleased to not have a mobile phone signal as then work can't spoil my rest. As for TV well what is there worth watching.

I met a guy on the Isle of Wight who was a touring park warden. He lived with the wife in a large motor home on the island for 9 months doing 40Hrs a week at the site and then they buzzed off to Spain in the motor home for a twelve week holiday of their own. He said if they ran short of cash he'd do a bit of wardening over there. When asked what he did perviously, he told me he was a branch manager for an insurance firm and his wife was an administrator for a firm in Liverpool. They both have not regreted the move and treat the working aspect as more of a hobby than a chore now.

Good luck with the life style swap and keep us posted with progress.

ATB Steve
Thanks steve I also have a machine I hope yours improved the quauliyt of your life as mine did with me William

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts