fuse keeps blowing

Mar 18, 2005
Visit site
I have a compass astec 620 with a 55oo carver heater, 1 / 2 kw and/or gas, however the 5 amp fuse in the 240 volt switch with the red led light keeps blowing when i run the heater on 2 kw for approx 10 minutes. The only other thing that is drawing electric at this time is the fridge, and the only time that i use the 2 kw heater is to give the van a boost, it's not used all the time. The 5amp fuse is also the correct size according to the manufacturers handbook. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? when i take the fuse out immideately after it blows it's hot!

John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, On the 2kw setting it draws {2000 (watts) divided by 240 (volts)} which is 8amps approx. The fuse is rated incorrectly and should be 10 amps, or if it is a 13A plug or spur fitting then 13amps. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, On the 2kw setting it draws {2000 (watts) divided by 240 (volts)} which is 8amps approx. The fuse is rated incorrectly and should be 10 amps, or if it is a 13A plug or spur fitting then 13amps. Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would agree with Ray

Just put in a bigger cartridge fuse and it should be OK
John, You have reassured my faith as I'm not used to having anybody agree with what I say. It's nice to see you still respond to electrical queries after explaining the purpose and operation of the 'habitation' relay to me last year. amazing how many times that comes up in the Forum.Regards Ray

Mar 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info, sometimes the simple answer is staring you right in the face, which I totally over looked. Once I consulted the hand book I had 5 amp in my head and proceeded to strip out sockets and trace cables back for loose wires etc. I wont forget watts divided by volts = amps again in a hurry. It's firmly in my head now.

Firt time I have used this forum, did'nt know it exsisted until last week and I think it's fantastic. Thanks once again. John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, You have reassured my faith as I'm not used to having anybody agree with what I say. It's nice to see you still respond to electrical queries after explaining the purpose and operation of the 'habitation' relay to me last year. amazing how many times that comes up in the Forum.Regards Ray
OK now let the cat out of the bag - what's a "habitation" relay?

John Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts