Gairloch

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Anyone towed up to Gairloch recently ?? Looking to go in the next couple of weeks with a TA van. We would go Aberdeen to Inverness then up through Garve etc. Any advise appreciated.

Val & Frank

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Frank,

We used this route 3 years ago.Garve to Achnasheen on the A832 is absolutely fine.From Achnasheen to Kinlochewe there were major road works at that time as they were upgrading the road from single track status.It was slightly hair raising travelling on temporary bits with the van,but I'm sure that should all be finished by now.From Kinlochewe the road is fine with only a small amount of single track when you get near to your destination.

Hubby said he would rather have these single track roads than the Devon lanes any day of the week!!!

Where are you stopping......please let us have a site report when you come back.

Maureen

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Frank,

We used this route 3 years ago.Garve to Achnasheen on the A832 is absolutely fine.From Achnasheen to Kinlochewe there were major road works at that time as they were upgrading the road from single track status.It was slightly hair raising travelling on temporary bits with the van,but I'm sure that should all be finished by now.From Kinlochewe the road is fine with only a small amount of single track when you get near to your destination.

Hubby said he would rather have these single track roads than the Devon lanes any day of the week!!!

Where are you stopping......please let us have a site report when you come back.

Maureen
Just found 2 web sites which might interest you.

http://bealach-na-ba.fotopic.net/c220377.html
www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2007/March/2007-03-16-02.htm

Maureen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Frank,

We were up in that area in June this year, staying at the CC site at Kinlochewe. The road has been improved so you will have no problems until you get to within three or four miles of Gairloch when the road is still single track. Beyond that its OK. You won't have any trouble with your TA, we did the route in reverse last year when we stayed at the C&CC site at Poolewe. :O)

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Frank, I can also confirm the A832 to Kinlochewe is good. In fact, it is billiard table smooth with gentle curves. It's a delight to drive on it.

As Wendy says, there is a bit of single track near Gairloch but nothing severe.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. Just going looking for an alternative to Arisaig. It will be a shorter tow should we decide to spend time next summer over on the West Coast, Afterbeing all rained out in Cornwall earlier in the summer.

Val & Frank

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Frank, another easy tow is to Morvich in Kintail. The road from Invermoriston on Loch Ness is excellent. It takes me about 4.5 hours from Aberdeen without going particularly hard.

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Wendy,

We spoke to the Scottish sites manager at the Glasgow show this year.He said that at the end of this season they are going to be building a new toilet block at Kinlochewe.We had previously stated that it was far below present day Club standards.This was no reflection on the wardens who did their best with a very old building.

Maureen

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Maureen,

I think a new toilet block is well overdue. Although we don't actually use the facilites, the old one looks very tired even from the outside.

The site was very busy when we were there, presumably a new toilet block will entice more midge hardy visitors!!:O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts