Garmin Full Europe maps

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT-D satnav. It has always updated a full set of UK/Europe maps. But today I wanted to update it and it will not install City Navigator Europe (inc UK/Ireland) telling me that there is not enough room. The install is around 9gb, and the satnav has a new 32gb micro Sd card, formatted and empty. So I updated UK and Ireland satisfactorily. But it now would require a separate set of maps for France/Benelux to be installed, but this can only be done by removing UK/Ireland. Doesn't make for a smooth route transition as you board Euroshuttle or ferry. Has anyone encountered similar issues?

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 11.55.04.png

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The memory card does not contain map data, that is all in internal memory which is why you have run out of space. The memory card holds pictures and the like.
Try doing a master reset which might or might not erase your old maps. If it does there should be enough room for you update.
Alternatively contact Garmin UK. They are very helpful and will talk you though it if necessary.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Strange as my previous updates for City Navigator Europe went onto the 32gb micro SD card using Garmin Express. Even Garmin’s own help sheets make reference to maps going onto the SD card if the devices own memory cannot accommodate the new update. Tomorrow I will try to see if the complete Europe map can be installed onto Basecamp and then transferred onto the satnav SD. Card.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........that's what I did with a Garmin.
In fact I removed all maps from the satnav's internal storage.
I could then use it in UK/Europe or Australia/New Zealand by simply changing to the relevant maps on the appropriate storage card.

It worked for me!

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I imagine you've sorted the space issue out by now Clive? As Gafferbill points out you can store maps on an SD card. I also used an SD card for maps of New Zealand a few years back and with no problems at all.

So far as I understand it your main device only stores a single map and not updates going back in time. I have no idea if Garmin Express removes existing maps to create room before an update but I think that's most likely. In my case I only have just over 2GB space on my internal memory and maps are significantly larger than that!

The City Navigator Europe version 2023_20 is 7.07 GB in Basecamp!

I recall some years ago being asked to install only some parts of a larger map. Think it might have been a TomTom but certainly the technique has been around some years. I presume today storage is now increased but so too map size I suspect!

My only question is will Express allow you to download a new map just to the computer? I seem to think downloading to the computer for use in Basecamp is an "extra" you select when installing to the SatNav. Would be interested to hear how you got on.

Btw - new version of Basecamp 4.7.5 has recently appeared.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m in contact with Garmin U.K. and their initial advice was to go into the Satnav files and delete things like vehicle icons, foreign voices etc plus data held relating to trips, favourites. Then gave me a link to the standard updating procedure. The net result was no change inky U.K./Ireland or other discreet areas of Europe. The Garmin drive is 14gb full, 1.5gb free. But it is as if the system does not see the micro SD card which is 32gb Sandisk extreme class 10.

I also tried installing to the computer but prior to reinstalling Basecamp. Then installing to Basecamp prior to then transferring to the micro SD card on the Garmin. But again it only downloaded UK/Ireland. There was no option for full Europe.

So I put the problem back to Garmin tech support. The MAC sees the Garmin drive plus the micro SD card and I’ve run First Aid on both which came good. I’ve also used the micro SD in the MAC ports and loaded video files which loaded and ran okay. The Garmin drive software is 6.70 so its software is up to date.

Overall a bit of a puzzle as up to now City Navigator Europe maps have normally installed. without any problem using wifi and have gone onto the microSD card.

PS Now downloading maps and infotainment update for car onto MAC prior to installing via USB drive.....27gb. It doesn't have OTA updates...just missed out by a few months, but it normally works like clockwork.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to provide an update. The end result of my sending info and diagnosis data to Garmin is that the satnav installed memory is now no longer large enough to accept the "baseline' maps and data required to enable it to then load Full Europe to the 32gb micro SD card. Garmin's T&C allow for such obsolescence over time. I guess other satnav suppliers probably do the same. It will still run regional areas such as UK/Ireland, Benelux etc, but each would have to be singularly installed on the remaining core memory not the micro SD card.

Garmin have offered a replacement "recertified" satnav for £83.01 with free shipping and 12 months guarantee, Lifetime Updates (subject to T&C) and pre paid UPS return labels for the obsolete satnav. So I have taken up that offer.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to close the loop Garmin dispatched the replacement re certified satnav within a couple of hours of receiving the obsolete unit. The delivery was by UPS and it arrived yesterday and I’ve checked it out and it works a treat. So if the cars’ infotainment screens should go kaput I’ve got a fall back before resorting to hard copy maps and Google print outs.🤞

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a "Snooper" 2000p Caravan and Truck sat Nav, worked extremely well for 15 years, then Snooper decided they would no longer upgrade the Maps and offered to give me £150 reduction in price on a new version. I bought it set it for our caravan and car. On the first run out to a new place, I followed it, but what a route it took me, admittedly HGV's were using the route, but there was a much better route it "should" have taken me.
So very wary about using it, thankfully I do use Google maps first to check routes.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a "Snooper" 2000p Caravan and Truck sat Nav, worked extremely well for 15 years, then Snooper decided they would no longer upgrade the Maps and offered to give me £150 reduction in price on a new version. I bought it set it for our caravan and car. On the first run out to a new place, I followed it, but what a route it took me, admittedly HGV's were using the route, but there was a much better route it "should" have taken me.
So very wary about using it, thankfully I do use Google maps first to check routes.
I always checked routes by Google when towing. The beauty of the Garmin is that I can set my own route using Basecamp then upload to the Garmin. But when not towing I’m pretty aufait with driving a route and tend only to use satnav for the final “approach “or in towns. But both cars still have comprehensive large scale up to date map books in them.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I see a lot of names on here with knowledge. I have a garmin 2340 now I have just bought a data cable and done installing of maps but how do I know I will have full map in france?

I have tested changing country and get france up after a while . but will it work in France? Is there a way I wouldknow this I thought of emailing garmin as I had lifetime maps

It took me 2 days jsut to install on comuter but do I have to do something to get it on garmin at wits end.

than the other problem is how do I fond my euro standard on v5 screaming , hair sticking up, red faced female . arrrrrrrgh

any help welcomed with gratitude 🙏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If all you are getting on your Garmin is France it sounds as if your installed memory is too small to take the City Navigator Europe map suite. I would contact Garmin technical support giving them the serial number of your satnav. They will tell you if it’s a technical issue or if it’s now obsolete and cannot accept the latest map suite.

If you have used Garmin Express to install your maps it will tell you when it is completed. Then restart it, go into settings and find “ maps” .That should show you the installed map set. The Garmin website shows what each map set covers. If yours doesn’t include France you should install the set that does cover France. If you look at my #1 above you will see a photo of map set for U.K. and Ireland. There are other map sets to choose if you click the menu button against “ City Navigator ……”. What I did not appreciate at the time was that by splitting Europe into map zones my Garmin was telling me that it was unable to install the full City Navigator Europe set.

I bought a remanufactured version of mine direct from Garmin and it now works a treat.

An alternative is to use your mobile on Google maps or some other navigation app.

Wrt Euro standard try the DVLA website

Thank you for your post. I just tested above link and it shows my Euro status and also that my car is not taxed. It expired 31 July 2023. Shock horror 😱 No reminder received.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts