Garmin sat nav

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Morning all

Interested if anyone took up the CC club mag offer, of the Garmin sat nav programmed with CC sites and CL's ? Theres about five different types of increasing price,I could only afford the cheapest if I was to get it so what extra's are you gaining as the price goes up? Will the cheapest still get me there the same as not to bothered about gizzmo's !!

Thanks for any help

Tina x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina. I haven't seen the offer in the caravan club, but if it says Sat Nav then yes it will get you there. Usually with these things if the price goes up your buying things like blue tooth adapters or large memory. Think of it like a car, buy the basic model and it will get you to your destination, buy the GLX/GTi/Ghia model and it will get you there, just with a few toys to play with! How much are they asking for the Sat Nav Tina?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That seems quite expensive to me Tina, I would advise looking around for better deals than that, we use Tom-Tom on a Pda the cost of which can vary enormously, but we have seen Sat Navs in Argos starting at

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guys

I think my main concern is bieng taken through a route totally unsuitable for caravans, i.e big hills(please I dont do hills,shaking with fear!!!!)narrow roads etc etc,

We use sat nav at work,and it is programmed for main roads but it has sent us awol, how long you had yours? any caravan related problems?

Tinax

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should be able to program the Sat Nav to avoid roads not suitable for caravans, but this involves a little detective work on your part. If you have instructions about getting to the site that mention these roads, program that in. If you have a detailed map and don't like the look of the road, program that in. If your using the quickest route option, it will usually take you via the major road network, but no system is infallible, but there again no map is either. We have had Tom-Tom for 3 years now, at first it would route us down narrow roads instead of taking the long way round, but having got used to the system and pre-planned the route when we have a caravan on the back, it has been brilliant!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina,

I've had a TomTom Navigator for three years with the full European maps, and Brenda has one of the new Garmin i3 systems in her Mini - the i3 is now under

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site

"Why do you want a GPS?

If it is just to find places in the UK, then either the Garmin i3 or the TomTom One will take you there with certainty.

If you want to use the GPS to give you door to door planning for Europe, then that means a TomTom GO 700 for around

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen,rob_jax

Sat nav for me would only be used in uk really, for when towing the caravan around ,then when we are off travelling the area we are in,days out etc etc,!!

Thanks

Tina x

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Stephen,

Sorry, but the major usability difference between the TomTom GO 300, 500 and 700 is the mapping.

TT GO 300 - is UK (and Ireland) only - but you can buy additional country maps pre-loaded on memory cards.

TT GO 500 - is UK plus Major Roads of Europe - basically the level of detail stops at A roads - but then once you are in that town somewhere in Europe it basicaly stops giving assistance.

TT GO 700 - is door to door for the whole of Europe on a 2.5GB micro hard disk.

Your comment about the operating software being identical is correct, it's the map data that differs amongst the TomTom models.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tina; I looked with HORROR at the prices shown; not because they were a little hiher but becaus ethey were exhorbitant compated to what others are selling at. And this in our the CC magazine which suggests that this is a special offer to CC members... give me a break. Just FYI last ween I bought the Garmin SP2720 for

TRENDING THREADS