Garmin satnav maps, a couple of questions

Apr 17, 2007
Visit site
We've got a Garmin nuvi satnav and this model has only UK maps installed. We're off to france this summer and so wish to add france to the maps. I would prefer to buy a SD card map rather than download from the net. Can I just borrow one from someone else or buy second hand or will they only work on one unit?. can I just buy france or do I have to buy all Europe? I've seen new maps on the net and the prices vary from £18-£100+ I've tried the garmin site but it's all a bit vague with little useful information regards what you get for your money.

Any thoughts about what I need and how much I should have to pay etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In short 'No', but I have the Garmin 1490T which can download routes from Mapsource. That mapping software has a Truck option so it will route you on roads that are suitable for large vehicles, howver when you export to the Garmin that has no Truck option so it will recalculate and you find yourself back on car-routes. So what I do is plan my route uisng normal maps and then input it on Mapsource using the 'Car' option. I then export it to the satnav and the route goes in unchanged. this way I know that I have my own chosen route in the Garmin. Howver when towing I still carry maps and my Chief Navigator uses bullet cards. That way when the inevitable happens I don't have to rely on the satnav.

You may wonder why i bother, but the satnav is useful when solo in towns etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts