Gas Abroad

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi, We are off to Holland soon , can I do a gas exchange over there i.e. calor butane.

And also do thetford sell in europe if I need to buy new chemicals ??

Regards

John

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi John,

British gas is not exchangeable in Europe, except Camping Gas.

However we always take 2 6Kg Propane (= 7Kg Butane) for a months touring abroad and rarely start the second cylinder although we do use hookup sites for anything more than an overnight stop.

Thetford is a Dutch company!

Regards

Alan

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hubby says you can get camping gas butane but we use propane as you can use all year round.

For some you buy abroad you would have to change the regulator I believe.....I am sure the other experts here on the forum will advise you.

As far as Thetford chemicals are concerned they are not British they are an American company who manufacture in Holland so you should have no problem. But there are many other chemicals that you can buy here and over there which will travel and perform as well.. if not better.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

25% of Dutch homes have a caravan - you'll have no trouble finding stuff in shops, but if you need anything for your caravan, try "Camping Sport De-Wit" in Schijndel near Den Bosch ('s-Hertogenbosch) - 70,000 sq. metres of camping and caravan stuff - just amazing - and the prices (should) be lower than the UK.

There is no difference between the Butane (or Propane) gas supplied in the UK, Holland or anywhere else in Europe. There are physical differences in the bottles and are not interchangeable.

So take a full UK bottle (or bottles) with you and buy a Camping Gaz 907 (in Holland - cheaper) if you need it. Camping Gaz is universally available, but the running costs are twice that of the larger bottles.

Robert

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi John,

25% of Dutch homes have a caravan - you'll have no trouble finding stuff in shops, but if you need anything for your caravan, try "Camping Sport De-Wit" in Schijndel near Den Bosch ('s-Hertogenbosch) - 70,000 sq. metres of camping and caravan stuff - just amazing - and the prices (should) be lower than the UK.

There is no difference between the Butane (or Propane) gas supplied in the UK, Holland or anywhere else in Europe. There are physical differences in the bottles and are not interchangeable.

So take a full UK bottle (or bottles) with you and buy a Camping Gaz 907 (in Holland - cheaper) if you need it. Camping Gaz is universally available, but the running costs are twice that of the larger bottles.

Robert
Hi Rob,

I was asking about the gas as my 7kg butane still is 25% full so I don't want to exchange just yet but I may get an empty one from somewhere.

Also, how is the weather over there at the moment, does Holland generally have what we are getting....keeping fingers crossed for a week sunday!!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I was asking about the gas as my 7kg butane still is 25% full so I don't want to exchange just yet but I may get an empty one from somewhere.

Also, how is the weather over there at the moment, does Holland generally have what we are getting....keeping fingers crossed for a week sunday!!

John
John

I have noticed that local rubbish tip / recycling centres have a pile of empty Calor Gas bottles of all sizes. You will easilly get one to 'refill' for your journey.

Bon Voyage

Al

Sep 16, 2007
Visit site
We're off to Austria with our caravan this Christmas and gas is one of my concerns. We use a typical twin 6kg Calor Propane set up and I'm not sure it will last the whole fortnight as its a winter snow holiday and we do use gas for cooking, hot water and heating.

I asked in a caravan shop and was "advised" to convert my caravan to run solely on Campingaz cylinders, the largest of which seems to be 2.75kg, because these are widely available across europe which Calor is not. This seems to me a ludicrous idea as I'd be changing cylinders every other day.

I expect the Austrians, Germans, Swiss, French etc. caravanners all use a similar size of gas cylinder to ours rather than silly little cylinders designed primarily for tent camping. I know they dont have Calor but the contents will still be the same fuel, either propane or butane, and the only real difference will be the regulator fitting. As we use a fixed regulator and "pigtail" hoses perhaps a continental hose is available.

Does anybody have any "sensible" advice?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The standard sizes in Germany are 5kg and 11kg. At least in Germany there is no choice between Propane and Butane. The gas that they sell is a mix of about 80% Propane/20% Butane.

TRENDING THREADS