Gas bottle type

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
What sort of gas bottles and gas do people use? I've put in a 7kg butane bottle merely because I had one and a regulator lying around (old bbq). My van originally had fitted a 6kg lightweight propane and reg. Is it worth spending the £30 "hire" fee to go lightweight?

TM

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Butane is OK for summer use, but absolutely useless for winter use or whenever the temperature drops to below about 4 degrees C.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
tentmonster said:
What sort of gas bottles and gas do people use? I've put in a 7kg butane bottle merely because I had one and a regulator lying around (old bbq). My van originally had fitted a 6kg lightweight propane and reg. Is it worth spending the £30 "hire" fee to go lightweight?

TM

Hello TM,

There is no single solution that will suit everyone, so you need to look at a few key details which might persuade you one way or another.

Propane vs Butane
Essentially if you intend to caravan in ambient temperature below about 5C then you should be using Propane, as Butane bottles will struggle to provide gas as the ambient temperature drops.

Hired Bottles vs owned
The main attraction of owning your own cylinders is the lower cost of replenishing, but to offset that you also fewer locations to replenish them.

This will be affected by where you want to caravan, You will need to research where the refill stations are located. Bear in mind that many Autogas refill points will only allow fixed tanks in vehicles to be filled and prohibit the refilling of portable cylinders.

You also have to consider that as the owner of a cylinder, you must have it safety pressure tested at least every ten years, but finding a company to actually do this for you is currently difficult - you would need to consult the bottle supplier/manufacturer for advice on this.

Generally refill points will only supply Propane gas.

Light weight Vs normal steel
There are some lightweight cylinders that can be hired, but most are purchased. Its seems that many of the modern caravans do have intrinsically high nose loads, so lightweight cylinders can be a boon, but if you don't need lightweight ones metal ones may well be cheaper and more available.

What size?
The bigger the refill generally the better value you get, but of course you need to check the gas bottle locker to find the maximum size of cylinder your caravan can take.

1 or 2 cylinders,
This will be affected by how long you are going to be away from the nearest replenishment or exchange point.

Manual or automatic change over gas valve/regulator
With a manual change over you are at least aware of when the first cylinder has emptied, and its good reminder to replace it, but it does mean you loose your supply until you switch over. The auto systems usually have some form of indicator to let you know the bottle has changed over, but you have to actually check so its possible you might use both bottles before you notice the indicator.

I hope this helps you decide.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I would add one advantage of the lightweight bottles, not directly related to caravanning: For those of us not in the first flush of youth (e.g. me!), the lightweights are significantly easier to lift than the same size standard cylinder. I've bee usining Calor Lightweights (6kg propane, total weight 10.5kg approx) since they came out more or less: The other day I had to move a cylinder for my Mum (7kg butane, total weight 16kg approx) and the difference was surprising.
Add to that, with a caravan gas bottle you're not just lifting it, you're manoevering it in and out of a space that it may only just fit, and for me, the advantage of lightweights is well worth the cost.

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
You can buy a bottle??? I thought you had to rent one from calor and your deposit dwindled away into an insignificant amount the longer you kept it. I rented my 7kg butane cylinder about ten years ago. Is that the same thing?

I may change over to lightweight propane as we intend to use the van in the winter and the bottles are a lot lighter, especially if I need to carry two. I don't have an issue with the lifting, it's nose weight on my lightweight van and car I was thinking of too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
tentmonster said:
You can buy a bottle??? I thought you had to rent one from calor and your deposit dwindled away into an insignificant amount the longer you kept it. I rented my 7kg butane cylinder about ten years ago. Is that the same thing?

I may change over to lightweight propane as we intend to use the van in the winter and the bottles are a lot lighter, especially if I need to carry two. I don't have an issue with the lifting, it's nose weight on my lightweight van and car I was thinking of too.

Yes, there are several suppliers. some offering lightweight cylinders others the more conventional steel cylinders.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Personally I made the switch to lightweight. Yes, this does help to reduce noseweight, and in doing so also , helps in keeping the overall weight of contents down, which a constant issue in itself.
I would also try going with just one bottle and see how you go, by weighing the bottle before and after a trip to see what weight you are using. If you are on EHU you may find that you use surprisingly little gas.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Personally I made the switch to lightweight. Yes, this does help to reduce noseweight, and in doing so also , helps in keeping the overall weight of contents down, which a constant issue in itself.
I would also try going with just one bottle and see how you go, by weighing the bottle before and after a trip to see what weight you are using. If you are on EHU you may find that you use surprisingly little gas.

I made the mistake of relying on the gauge on my Calor Lite bottle for this weekend. :( Gauge showed 3/4 bottle remaining, but ran out of gas after only 30 minutes and as we only only carried one cylinder we were stuffed. Tried ringing 7 local gas suppliers and all were out of stock due to the recall.

Note to self - don't be lazy and weigh the gas bottle before each trip.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sir WC
After all the recent issues with Calorlite it beggars belief that your cylinder gauge is giving false readings.
As you know I am an old fashioned dog and still rely on two 6kg propanes.
When I know Calorlite singles are reliable I may think again.
I wonder if yours is part of the faulty batch?

TRENDING THREADS