Gas Bottle

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm a complete newbie to caravaning and picking up our caravan in a few weeks. I was wondering what the situation is with the gas. If i buy a 6kg bottle do i need anything else? Are all the connections and the regulator fitted inside the van?

Cheers

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, depends on your van. Regulators fitted to the bulkheads are the norm in most modern vans. I am not sure when they became standard (early 2000s maybe??????). Previously regulators were on gas bottles. If you have a bulkhead regulator then you will need a pigtail appropriate to the gas bottle. If you plan to caravan in cooler weather, propane is the better choice as butane does not gas at low temperature. Let us know the make and age of the van you are getting and someone will give more specific advice.
mel

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are picking up the van from a dealer, they "should" ask you what gas cylinder you want to use and supply the suitable pigtail to connect to the cylinder.
I would advise using Propane as it is usable in all temperatures whereas Butane is no good in cold weather.

The regulator will be in the front locker normally , or wherever the van maker has sited it, the dealer should show you as he should also show you how everything works.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
One word of warning is to check nose weight. Your caravan will probably have 100 kg limit but your car might have a lower tow ball limit. You might need a smaller bottle, especially if you fit two, which is usual.

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies. Planning on getting one 6kg propane cylinder for now. The caravan is a new elddis xplore 586. So hopefully all I need is the pigtails and bottle

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well done on your choice of van.
Make sure the dealer shows you how everything works and ask as many questions as you need to.
He may not like it, but you are spending a lot of money and he is duty bound to ensure you are familiar with all aspects of the van.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I would expect a dealer to give you the right pigtail FOC on a brand new van.
New vans don’t come with Leisure batteries. You may already know this, but thought I would mention it.
Love Xplore vans ( especially the 302 :))
mel

Nov 15, 2019
Visit site
Thanks all. I shall ring the dealer about the pig tail. Cheers on the van. Hopefully we have made the right choice. Lots of mixed reviews on net.

Oh and we have a leisure battery sorted

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When you get the handover I would video this as far as possible. You will always find you have forgotten something when you need to do it. The gas should be connected up to demonstrate how to use things so if it is the connection should not be a problem.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Adam83.
Good luck with your new van,hope you enjoy it.
I purchased an empty 6kg. propane gas from our local Gumtree then just had to take it to get a refilled bottle.
May save you approx.£35 (I think) for a deposit on a new one.😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Adam,We use 2x3.9 kg bottles .We don't go off grid,so don't need 6kg bottles.One lasts about 18 mths in van,other we use one a year for cadac (easy to carry about).Enjoy,take your time with everything,no rush.😃
P.s I agree,go for a wheel type pigtail,not the spanner version.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts