gas bottles abroad

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Peter,

I can't answer your question with regard to the brands that you name BUT;

At every supermarket with a fuel pump (and there are zillions in France) they sell Gas. It comes in all shapes and sizes and they have butane and propane.(But they will only sell you propane for the 'van. Butane is for the home, apparently)

A couple of years ago I bought a Primagas gas bottle from the Auchan supermarket at Calais. Quite straightforward. I approached the kiosk and in my best schoolboy french asked for a bottle. The lady gave me the key to the cage and out came I with the bottle. I was given a receipt that included the price for bottle (refundable) and the gas.

I chose this particular gas because it is available throughout France with the added advantage that the pigtail on my post 2005 van was for the small butane calor bottle at home, and that pigtail fitted the outlet for the French bottle so there was no adaptations to make.

The only downside is that the bottle is approx 14kgs so you have to have the available noseweight, and, like the UK, the bottles can't be exchanged anywhere other than France but, because we go so regularly, that isn't a prob.

Anything else, just ask

Regards

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
If you go to http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_1.htm It gives you the correct connectors for most foreign gas cylinders you can swap them with the connector you have fitted. Twiny gas bottles seem to be most popular but all makes are available at most supermarkets

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I know The CC & C&CC no longer allow it as a potential safety issue of the bottle falling over (unless you have an old van of course). But why can you not connect one of these European bottles via the external BBQ point? Just the same copper pipe and as long as one uses the orange high pressure hose what is the difference?

I know that in UK we all tend to follow guidelines/rules/regulations slavishly unlike the French who take the view that rules are there to be "worked around".

Thoughts on this would be useful to air the point?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts