gas hob burners

Jul 31, 2005
Visit site
I have recently bought a new bailey senator and the gas hob burners are not very powwerful, well at least in comparison with my old moonstone. Is it simply that the bailey hob is poor in comparison or is it something to do with switching from Butane to Propane

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Do you mean they sound quieter or that they take longer to boil a kettle?

Propane only has about 88% of the heat energy of Butane, so it will take slightly longer to boil something, but I doubt if most people would notice the difference in a blind test.

If it sounds quieter, then it may be better design of the jets, or are you sure your old system was correctly matched (right pressure regulator for the hob?)

Robert

Jul 31, 2005
Visit site
Rob,

I mean yes to both, The flame is quieter, less fierce and lower power and it takes for ever to boil a kettle.I didnt know propane was a lower heat output than butane so at least that makes some sense

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Davey,

You say you have purchased a new caravan, if so you have probably been supplied with the new standard regulator set to 30mB. This is the new common standard pressure for both butane & propane in the UK and most of Europe.

Previously, we used 28mB for butane and 37mB for propane, which effectively compensated for the slightly lower calorific value of propane by using the higher pressure, it also meant that a propane flame may have sounded more forceful.

I'm not sure that this new standard is good thing, its basically the UK using a less effective method in the interests of European Harmonisation.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Davy,

And it could also be that you have different rated burners in your new van.

In the van (or hob) documentation there should be a killoWatt (kW) rating for each of the burners - it may be that one is rated as a high output burner - it's worth checking.

Robert

May 3, 2006
Visit site
Hello Davey,

You say you have purchased a new caravan, if so you have probably been supplied with the new standard regulator set to 30mB. This is the new common standard pressure for both butane & propane in the UK and most of Europe.

Previously, we used 28mB for butane and 37mB for propane, which effectively compensated for the slightly lower calorific value of propane by using the higher pressure, it also meant that a propane flame may have sounded more forceful.

I'm not sure that this new standard is good thing, its basically the UK using a less effective method in the interests of European Harmonisation.
That explains it!

Just upgraded to a new van, and thought the grill (in particular) was a lot slower. Use Propane gas, so it will be.

Thanx.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts