Gas on the continent?

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
We are about to embark on a 3 month trip into France Spain. Our van an Autotrail Cheyenne 660 SE 2006 reg has two 6kgs Propane cylinders. The master plan is to leave one of the cylinders at home. Then buy a Camping-Gas cylinder with an adapter and hose to connect to our existing 30 mbr Truma regulator. When this cylinder is empty we then switch to the Uk Propane cylinder as a back up supply. We then of course purchas a further Camping-Gas cylinder. This seems the cheapest and most practical way round the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? I have been told one can buy an empty Camping-Gas cylinder at our local re cycling centre. This we can exchange for a new one when we are abroad. Many thanks in advance for any advice. Kind regards Mike S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The last 2.5 kg camping gaz I bought in France was 22 euros at a LeClerc petrol station - and that's the exchange price, so pretty expensive.

Could EoS tell us if it's easy to buy the other gas cylinders without exchange in France, or do you need some documentation, residence etc (as you do at most places in Spain).

Wouldn't it be nice if there was some international exchangability other than Camping Gaz ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Spain used to be the place to buy Camping Gaz bugt as its butane will that be OK for you oan a holiday stretching into late Autumn.

Personally I use Twinny gas (propane) which you can get at most French service stations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"Could EoS tell us if it's easy to buy the other gas cylinders without exchange in France, or do you need some documentation, residence etc (as you do at most places in Spain)"

Money is the best sort of documentation Ray. I paid 30ish euros for a Twinny bottle I bought from new in May at a Carrefour SS.

Refills are about half the price!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The last 2.5 kg camping gaz I bought in France was 22 euros at a LeClerc petrol station - and that's the exchange price, so pretty expensive.

Could EoS tell us if it's easy to buy the other gas cylinders without exchange in France, or do you need some documentation, residence etc (as you do at most places in Spain).

Wouldn't it be nice if there was some international exchangability other than Camping Gaz ?
I don't recall having to produce anything other than money in Sppain either.

We're in the EU remember.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,

If I could elaborate on EofS's last comments.

Every supermarket in France sells a whole range of gas cyliders. The french only seem to use propane for caravanning/camping but butane is also available.

The 6kgs 'twinny' bottles previously mentioned have a 20mm click on type exit point (UKs are invariably 21mm) The price for the twinny is currently 18euros but there is a 10 euro deposit which is paid on your initial purchase Unlike Calor the deposit is fully refundable providing you retain the receipt given out at the purchase time.

In addition the french also have lightweight 10kgs cyliders but as far as I know they are in butane only. Again a 20mm click on. I've just purchased a full one over here (from a colleague) prior to my next trip

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
why dont you just forget the gas buy an electric kettle and eat out for every meal its more fun that way and it saves on the cost of gas and dirtying your cooker. Or packet sandwiches are always a good option which do not involve cooking

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I never go abroad for less than five weeks, taking two 6kg red Calor cylinders, and I've never yet run out.When we came back last June I was able to do the next Royale rally on the second bottle, giving a total of over six weeks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Avoid Camping Gas in France it is expensive. Cheapest gas in France is supermarkets own - usually 11kg for around 20 euros for butane but not all chains are common in all areas. Alternatively go for a countrywide brand eg Twinny as already mentioned. I keep 2 calor cylinders for UK and 2 Twinnys for France.

If paying for electricity which can be expensive per night use as much as you can that is electric It may even be worth buying an electric hotplate at around 15 euros. It will quickly pay for itself. Why allow campsite owners to rake in the money on their electrity prices??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts