I have a Bailey Senator which has a gas regulator that switches between the empty bottle of gas the full automatically. My question is can one of these regulators be fitted retrospectively to a new van?

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you need one of these http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/c_s2_3.htm

go down to you friendly caravan dealer and he'll get one for you and no doubt would fit it if you don't feel you want to. You can probably get them mail order as well.

You'll no doubt get lots of advice about how dangerous it is and how the the world might end if you do it yourself, the 'elf & safety' gestapo will be round etc, but it isn't rocket science and will probably take about 15 minutes provided you've got the right size spanners.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Dead easy to do as all you do is remove the present pigtail and fit the changeover valve.Re fit the original pigtail to one outlet and add a new one to the other outlet.

Ok to do yourself as it is past the regulator so you dont need to be a gas fitter to carry out the work.

Best thing on the market as you always empty the cylinders.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scott, Dave & Mickey

If having knowledge and consideration to warn others of activities that are at best illegal and worst potentially dangerous is acting as the "elf & safety' gestapo " then I am guilty as charged.

If you wish to partake in an ill advised activity that may endanger others as well as your self, then I can't stop you, but if you insist on suggesting to others procedures that are dangerous or illegal then if I can prevent an incident them I will continue to point out the folly and irresponsibility of others.

With respect of the technicalities of Scotts suggestion.

The new caravan will be designed and certified only for use with 30 mbar gas. Fitting and using a regulator that provides gas at a different pressure will clearly be wrong, both illegal and potentially dangerous.

Whilst it is unlikely that the Elf & safety Gestapo will come knocking on your door asking to check your gas installation, the service company you use may refuse to touch or service the gas appliances as the system is non compliant, and for the same reason you may find that come time to sell (trade in) the dealer may refuse to deal or offer a substantially lower price.

If you have an insurance claim the non approved gas system could give the insurance company a legitimate reason to refuse to pay out.

I understand Dave and Mikey's frustrations with the need to comply with safety regulations, but when you have seen or had to deal with the consequences of ill founded tampering, your attitude may harden.

If not for your own safety think of others, and those who might own the caravan after you, they would have a legitimate claim if it were provable that you deliberately altered and allowed a non compliant gas system to be used.

Now lets look at some positives, The 30mbar systems can be configured with change over valves, but it would mean fitting a dedicated change over valve Speak to your caravan supplier who should be able to obtain and fit the necessary kit.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm sorry but you are wrong. The changeover unit is on the high pressure sde of the regulator and does not affect or compromise the installed gas system at all. Removing the pigtail and puting on a changeover valve is no more onerous or dangerous than changing a cylinder.

If you are now advocating that we get a Gas Safe engineer evrytime we want a cylinder changed then the whole world has gone totally mad.

I'm all for safe working and even a bit of 'elf n safety' but it is getting out of hand and the over-zealous are actually making life a bloody misery for the rest of us - you do not need to belong to an association or trade register to do a nut up, cross the road or even sit on the beach but I bet there's someone around who working on it.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Sorry I forgot, changing lightbulbs or tap washers or even topping up the air in your tyres. Soon the ultimate sin will be jacking up the car and changing a wheel - the E&S implications of which just don't bear thinking about.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

There are a number of change-over systems, some work purely on the high pressure side as you describe, and others work on the low pressure side.

Without knowing which system Scott has, it is impossible to give accurate information, hence the erring on the side of safety.

I don't make the regulations, but whether you like it or not interfering with a gas installation and producing a non-compliant system is covered by enforceable regulations. But I do agree with them, as they are designed to reduce the potential for dangerous systems to be created or used.

I have seen enough faulty installations and the consequences of them, so I offer this advice to help prevent future incidents.

The changing of gas bottles is not part of the installation, but adding a change-over valve system is so it is covered by the regulations.

It is totally irresponsible to suggest to Scott or to anyone to undertake an activity that is potentially dangerous or illegal.

The other activities you describe have no bearing on this thread.

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I believe that during the Vietnam war, the Americans created landing zones in swamps by dropping propane cylinders with hand grenades as detonators. The explosion/heat was enough to dry out the ground so a chopper could land.

The consequences of getting it wrong with gas just don't bear thinking about:

Clarkston:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/onthisday/october/21
Larkhall:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/592155.stm
Any incident involving gas on a site is likely to involve at least the caravans immediately around you. And the liabilities!!

Tom

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The info i gave was the fitting of the gaslow changeover valve which as i stated is after the regulator so no interfearing with the original gas installtion and regulator.

You can change pigtails as they are after the regulator

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Spoke to Gaslow and the fitting of their changeover valve is not covered by gas regulations.

They recommend the use if gas detection spray (soapy water) to check the fitting afterwards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mikey

Your fitting description of inputs and out puts does not make logical sense. I think you have you inputs and outputs mixed up.

The gas low device has three connections two are inputs (one for each bottle) and a single output. The convention is that you follow the flow of the fluid in the system input are always up stream of outputs.

The gas low device is a high pressure change over system, and it is designed to be fitted upstream of the now standard 30mBar regulator. This is as you say is no more complex than changing the pigtails.

The older systems that Scott may have may be a low pressure system which is not compatible with the 30mBar system now fitted to new caravans. It would be illegal to fit and use such an old system on a new caravan.

It now transpires that Scott is considering purchasing a new change over system rather than transferring his old one.

The points made in earlier replies may not apply to a new fit but they do apply to unapproved modifications.

Scott, Have lots of good safe holidays.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts