Gas struts for roof light on motorhome

May 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi we have a Fiat Ducato 'McLouis'. The gas struts on the roof light have lost their bant and need replacing as the large central living space roof light only opens 6 inches. There is a very long number on the side of them - possibly serial number. Do I need to buy specific ones or will any 33cm gas struts suffice e.g ones for a car boot? Thanks in advance

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Ours have also gone on our Auto Trail. I know use 2 plastic pipe's about 1 inch dia with slots cut in the ends to fit over the edge of frame and window. One about 6" and the other about 15". They work a treat and have done for over 3 years and at no cost. Well I found the pipe that some fly tipper had thrown away so help to re cycle them LOL. :lol:

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Sadly we've no photo or direct message facility on here, but if you give me permission I can send you each others email addresses, as I can access those.

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Will get camera out and photograph the pipes for you no problem. It is a simple job I did it while in France were we found the pipes and with just a small saw cut the two slots in each pipe, long one for hot days small one for when its a bit windy or cooler days. Think will work on most if not all vans.

May 21, 2018
Visit site
I have just replaced the gas struts on the garage doors of our Starblazer. I would recommend these people:
SGS Engineering UK Ltd
Email: accounts@sgs-engineering.com
Tel: 01332 576 850

They were very helpful and yes, you are right - the long serial number indicates exactly which strut you have (length of stroke and applied force). Give them a ring and ask. We paid about £80 inc. delivery for 4x600mm long ones. They can also check that the right end fittings are available and supply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts