German rules for tyres on the car

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have just been reading on a web site that the rules for car tyres in germany are that they must have 3mm minimum tread depth and all be of the same size, type and brand. Otherwise you will incurr a fine and need to replace any tyre not conforming before continuing the journey. The 3mm I have no problem with but for reasons I will not go into I have 3 Pirellis and 1 Continental, all the same speed and load rating. To change to all Pirellis would incur buying two new tyres as the AWD system can be fussy if different wheel diameters are fitted across an axle or front to back ( front must be equal or less tread than rears).
Is this web site correct ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive
I am sure that Lutz replied to a similar thread not so long ago, I seem to recall it was something to do with winter use. I am sure Lutz will clarify for us. Its just me but I would be a bit concerned going abroad with just 3mm tyre depth anyway.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There are no specific German rules. My reply to a similar thread that David refers to concerned minimum tread depth of winter tyres in Austria only. Germany applies the same 1.6mm legal minimum valid throughout the EU, although this is well below the recommended minimum of 2.5mm for standard, 3mm for wide tread or 4mm for winter tyres.
There is also no requirement for both tyres on one axle to be of the same manufacturer. They do, however, need to be of the same size and rating.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lutz
Thank you for your clarification it makes good sense. The reason I have one "odd" tyre is that one night I had a puncture and with a lot more of the journey to complete I knew the dreaded space saver would not go the distance so I gladly accepted the only replacement available even though it was a different brand.
Re David's comment there is nothing extraordinary about driving with 3mm tread depth if I do it in Uk it is no different when abroad. The tyres cannot discriminate between motorway and autobahn. All I was doing was repeating the points made on another website. My normal approach is to change at 3mm anyway so it was the use of mixed tyres that was my main concern.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
The law in France is that you can't have different manufacturers tyres on the same axle & that there must not be more than 4mm difference in tread on the tyres on the same axle.
I think you would have to find a very stroppy Flick to nic a foreign registered vehicle for this though.

TRENDING THREADS