Get the Top 100 Sites Guide 2017 with April's mag!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Good morning all! Just a quick post to let you know that the April 2017 issue of Practical Caravan magazine goes on sale today ... and you'll get a free copy of our Top 100 Sites Guide 2017! Please click here for a quick preview of what's in the magazine – happy holidays!

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
It went straight into the bin where all free site books go
If I go to a new area I use the internet, google maps and the club books to find a site

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We use various methods to decide which sites we fancy visiting and the PCv Top 100 sites has become a useful addition to our decision making process now that we're both officially OAP's and can finally afford to stay on some of the better caravan parks.
We visited the caravan show at the NEC today and held a lengthy and amusing conversation with Debbie, a very personable representative of Top 100 sites winner South Lychett Manor.
Debbie, who once lived in the Black Country not far from us but who has re-located to Dorset, has convinced us to give the site a try, but we first became aware of it via the PCv Top 100 sites book and I've no doubt that we'll get further inspiration from some of the suggested sites. :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the booklet has only commercial sites and no club ones I am afraid I have to say it is not one I would use as it appears to be just advertising. I simply find it difficult to believe that no site from either club would fail to get into the top 100.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
A few questions if I may.

Firstly, how are the sites scored? Is it as simple as those that receive the most nominations? If so, this would seem to tip the balance in favour of larger sites as a lovely site with 100 pitches would invariably have more people voting for it than a lovely site with 10 pitches would.
Perhaps a sub-category for 'best CL/CS' in each of the defined regions would be a worthwhile inclusion in future issues?

Secondly, I accept that there's a need to recognise the popularity of certain regions for holidays, but does Cornwall really deserve to have more than twice as many sites included as the whole of Scotland?

And lastly, are the photos taken by yourselves or supplied by the sites/visitors? If the latter, is it known how recent they are? There seem to be an astonishing number taken under clear blue skies ... !

Incidentally, the photo to the left was taken at the Forest and Wye Valley caravan site in Gloucestershire, easily our favourite site from last year but which hasn't made your shortlist!

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments on the Top 100. Here's some feedback which I hope will answer some of your queries/concerns about the guide.

Every site in the UK is eligible to take part - there is no discrimination against Club sites. The Top 100 has included numerous Club sites over the years, and there are actually three in this year's guide - the C&CC's Charmouth and Canterbury sites, and the Caravan Club's Hillhead site. Every site - Club or commercial - that receives at least one vote from visitors over the season is in the running.

There's also absolutely no requirement for sites to advertise in the guide: it makes no difference whether or not they are named as one of our Top 100. Many parks do take the opportunity to increase their exposure by advertising alongside their listing, but this does not determine their inclusion.

With regard to how the sites are scored: the votes from visitors are counted, but the final say is with our expert team - all voting forms ask for comments, and these are taken into consideration when the final list is drawn up. We also give a Best Small Site award - this year won by the fabulous 15-pitch Concierge Camping - in recognition of our smaller entrants. It should be noted that this park - and the other small sites in the guide, such as the 15-pitch Walnut Lakes - beat many much larger sites to get in.

As for the division between regions: this reflects the popularity of sites in the UK. Scotland has done better in previous years, but the sheer number of parks in Cornwall and Devon, and the amount of visitors to the counties, means that they will always make up a large proportion of the Top 100.

Finally, the site photos are taken by us where possible, but are otherwise are supplied by the sites themselves. The reason that they show blue skies is that we - and the site owners - want the parks to look as lovely as possible!

I hope this clears up a few points. If you have any further feedback on the guide, let us know and we'll certainly consider it for next year.

Sarah Wakely, Guide Editor

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Sarah, thank you for taking the time to reply. There have been a few gripes in the past about not getting feedback from PC staff and I see that over the past few days this is beginning to be addressed. :)

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I look forward to getting the sites guide, but would suggest that the layout is changed slightly, so that Adult Only sites are put in a separate part of each county listing, then I wouldn't need to look at them as we have a family, and those that only use them could flip straight to that section.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well Done Sarah
A straight and honest explanation :cheer:
I am very pleased to see two of my "little Black book " favourites didn't get a mention :cheer:
However I will try a couple of the opposition later in the year. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts