Get the van out!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Loads of topics on here, seem to stem from the fact vans have been left over winter and not used i.e. brakes, frozen pipes etc. mine always feels really damp so i like to use it.

I'm a fan of winter caravanning and everyone should give it a go! With all the kit in them these days there really is no need to wait for the summer.

Even though Saturday night was well below freezing (and my water bottle/waste froze) we were warm as toast and had great time. We went to the posh site in Silverdale, and had a swim sauna jacquzzi steam room, packed up and after re-storing the van was still back home for 2pm on Sunday, ready for the footy! loads of families there too and the lakeland towns were all open for business.

Would suggest a half day on the Friday so you can set-up in the daylight though!!

So many on my storage site never move in the winter, I think its a shame .

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Nice one graham, Were off to Cornwall in 2 weeks cant wait. Nothing like waking up to a crisp morning in the van, and so quiet as well. (dont encourage too many)

Jul 22, 2005
Visit site
We have just booked Craigie Gardens in Ayr for a long weekend. cant wait. Yes i agree we should all get out more in the winter time, though i have noticed more vans on the road this winter, well done if you have braved the elements and stayed cozy in your van!!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I envy you all. We have been hoping to get away in the 'van over the winter period but, unfortunately, we have been landed with decorating! I know where I would rather be!!! Have a grand time everyone.

We went out at the beginning of December, and again the first weekend in January. I find that the caravan gets too warm if anything with the heater on!

We have 2 small boys, and they love it too. With my husband away with work, we get strange looks going onto a site with just me and the boys, but there is no reason at all not to go.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We also like to get away in winter but have been put off by the extensive damage done to the Alko Chasis galvanising by the salt on the roads. Be warned; It can have a devastating effect and one that then turns and hits the pocket when you come to trade in.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We also like to get away in winter but have been put off by the extensive damage done to the Alko Chasis galvanising by the salt on the roads. Be warned; It can have a devastating effect and one that then turns and hits the pocket when you come to trade in.
Try coating the chassis, I use a clear laquer after trouble with a not galvanised chassis years ago and having to paint it. The laquer does no harm and less roaf dirt sticks and comes off easily in the wet or wit a quick spray with hose.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Try coating the chassis, I use a clear laquer after trouble with a not galvanised chassis years ago and having to paint it. The laquer does no harm and less roaf dirt sticks and comes off easily in the wet or wit a quick spray with hose.
cris,

thanks but a bit worried about going that route as I am in the marine industry and know that special eching primers are needed to get coatings to adhere to galvanising. Also we might upset the dealer if they see the chasis has been coated in that way.

Have however sprayed the current vans chasis with Supertrol an industrial product like the Waxoyl. Again this might upset the dealers but it is protecting the van. Might even increase its value for an astute buyer, its certainly preferable to the ruinied chasis on the other van. thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone, My husband and I and the two kids have been away all winter we were even caravanning at new year. This was the first time we have done this but booked for next year already theres a whole lot of us going, as our friends live all over the uk we meet up in the middle and get together better than staying at home and going to bed because we can't get a babysitter. Went away this weekend to try out new van it was brill! Going again this weekend.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, My husband and I and the two kids have been away all winter we were even caravanning at new year. This was the first time we have done this but booked for next year already theres a whole lot of us going, as our friends live all over the uk we meet up in the middle and get together better than staying at home and going to bed because we can't get a babysitter. Went away this weekend to try out new van it was brill! Going again this weekend.
Is the new van ok? what is it?

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I'm definitely going to try it. I guess I will have to buy thermals for the other half. He can't stand the cold! I will endeavour to get away with/without (him) next Christmas. Fed up of being at home at such a lovely time!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann, The van should be no colder than a house with modern insulation and heating. I must admit that I don't use mine as much as I'd like during the winter,but we were out two weeks ago with no probs, and, as we only have a small cottage,whenwe have visitors Herself and I move into the van.An oil-filled radiator keeps the chill off, with a boost from a fan heater if neccesary. Go for it! you'll enjoy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is the new van ok? what is it?
Hi Kevin

Yes the van was great it's a Fleetwood Sonata Melody based on the Adria. We had a fleetwood sonata harmony before but found it a bit small with a teenage daughter! and 10 yr old son how much stuff they take amazes me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cris,

thanks but a bit worried about going that route as I am in the marine industry and know that special eching primers are needed to get coatings to adhere to galvanising. Also we might upset the dealer if they see the chasis has been coated in that way.

Have however sprayed the current vans chasis with Supertrol an industrial product like the Waxoyl. Again this might upset the dealers but it is protecting the van. Might even increase its value for an astute buyer, its certainly preferable to the ruinied chasis on the other van. thanks
Hi there I see you are in the marine industry, can you tell me a good marine wax to polish the caravan, one that us mere mortals can buy, many thanks. Richard

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts