Getting on a Ferry

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, I was wondering what you do when you have boarded a ferry?

Do you apply the caravan handbreak?

Do you unplug the electric leads etc?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Good Question

Which I can't answer, but I do know you are supposed to swithch off the car alarm,well the bit that's activated by movement !!!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
apply hanbrake to caravan , turn off gas ,hide any valuables from view , turn off alarm , because the tilt device will ativate it ,make sure all doors are locked ,draw curtains or blinds , on return go around van make sure there are no illegals

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
apply hanbrake to caravan , turn off gas ,hide any valuables from view , turn off alarm , because the tilt device will ativate it ,make sure all doors are locked ,draw curtains or blinds , on return go around van make sure there are no illegals
On the illegal bit, fortnight ago got pulled over at Calaise ferry entrance and English police had a look inside caravan, it was a quick look but not thorough i could have had someone in the wardrobe bit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would leave the blinds open so you - and the deck staff - can see inside easily. Check walk round the outfit when you go back to it for any signs of attempted access or other damage. look particularly at the vents over the fridge, as these can be removed very quickly and something illegal popped in for recovery back in UK. I put bits of clear sellotape on mine, hoping any lowlife will not have thought to take some with them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I stay with the unit on the car deck until everyone else has left to the upper decks to ensure that my caravan does not have it's sides bashed by door of the cars parked alongside. I have seen this happen on more than one accassion.

Another thing that I have witnessed is other passengers passing between car and caravan by standing upon the A frame which causes dammage.

After the voyage, I get back to the vehicle deck ASAP to aviod the same.

Hope this has not given you cause to worry but I think that it is best to be aware of potential problems.

To answer your question. I never un-plug the cables or apply the caravan brake but ensure that the car is in 'park'.

G

There is activity on the car decks after the passengers have headed away to upper decks, so guarding your van may give little chance of protecting it from moving staff and rough weather tie downs.

Van parking brake is a good idea in case of rough weather. If you leave the van cables connected to the car and you are unlucky enough to have a relay malfunction you will be lucky to drive off the ferry if you have the fridge running as it can drain your car battery quickly.

Park up quickly and head for the food or a good seat is what we do.

If we've had a long trip to the ferry or have a long trip the other side I have a shower on the ferry. They are very accomodating and let you use the truckers facilities if you ask nicely and there are no showers in the public area.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tend to remove my jockey wheel before boarding if the ramp looks particular steep, so it won't ground. It has happened. I put it in a plastic bag in the boot until our first stop. I also remove my strap-on towing mirrors once we are on the car deck, a) to prevent theft and b) to stop them being knocked out of alignment by people pushing past,which means you come off the boat with no proper rear vision. I re-fit just before disembarkation (only takes a minute).

I once met a chap on the Dover-Calais ferry who was bitter because someone had nicked his external gas cowl cover!

Graham

Graham

Jun 30, 2005
Visit site
Im not sure if I would remove my jockey wheel.... I would rather it ground and protect the A-Frame rather than allow the A-Frame and all the gubbins inside it for braking etc get smacked.

However - what does happen if you ground or cannot get up the steep ramp caused by the tide? I had never thought of that!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Basically we do less on arrival than euro does - almost nothing. We just check that the windows and doors are secure, the handbreak on, and go upstairs. We've never had any damage, nothing stolen, no damage from grounding, no jockey wheel damage, no unplugged electrics, no stolen mirrors, the gas is already off because we've just been on the road, the blinds are closed so that no-one can see in, and there are no valuables on show anyway.

On return to the van we just check that no-one has entered and that there's no damage, and drive off heading into the sun (hopefully).

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
You should apply the caravan and car handbrake and some ferries like the car in gear as well,gas off and ensure all is locked and check when you get back.

If you have pads/feet on your corner steadies make sure they are fitted the right way around or you might have them ripped off on the ramp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts